Pee Spots

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harleychin

My Black Velvet Dwyer who just turned two has started recently having pee spots all over his cage.He's eating and drinking well and is active.He has lost about 30 grams since last month and I'm going to start weighing him a lot more to see if he loses any more.
The only diffrence I can think of is that He and Keegan have been bugging each other alot lately and squaking at each other though the bars.Their cages are next to each other.
Do these pee spots look like a health issue or is he just a pig?
Theres no staining on his fur.Should he go to the vet or should I just watch him?

Attachments

• IMG_2419.jpg
    IMG_2419.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2420.jpg
    IMG_2420.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2421.jpg
    IMG_2421.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 25
Some chinchillas are just lazy piggies and will pee everywhere. I was able to get one of mine to use a litter box (sometimes), but the other one would pee everywhere. He might be losing weight due to the stress of fighting through the bars. Maybe separate the cages or put cardboard between them so they can't see each other?

If you want to clean the urine stains, get a cleaned spray bottle, fill it with vinegar, and spray the places where he pees - it will dissolve the urine and you can easily wipe it off with a paper towel. You might have to do this twice for bad areas.

Looks like a few of my cages. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be worried so long as his appetite is the same and he doesn't appear to strain when peeing. A few of mine are just lazy and don't want to hop all the way down to the bottom of their cage, so they just go where they're standing. Roo & Koda are especially bad about this. It helped when I moved their ledges around and placed some different things on them. I have learned that any type of fleece thing on a shelf WILL get peed on.

I use hydrogen peroxide for the stains- it works awesomely. Just spray some on, let it sit for a couple minutes, and wipe it off with a damp cloth. If it is a particularly bad stain, let it sit for five minutes then scrub it with a brush.

Thanks Guys.I'll keep an eye on him to be sure.

His and Keegans relationship is weird.They squawk at each other though the bars,but Dwyer will sleep as close as he can to Keegans cage.

Attachments

• IMG_2422.jpg
    IMG_2422.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 7
Back