pedigrees

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillasrox

How do i get a pedigree for my chin? Nusta, my newest chin came from a hobby breader and we can e-mail the person we got her from to get her bloodlines back to her grand-parents, to see if they had health problems. How do i get pedigree for my other chin, bratty or even just her bloodlines back some. (I never want to breed. I am just curious to know)

Some breeders won't give a pedigree if the chin is being sold as a pet only. While others might give you a herd ID if they have one. Depends on where you got your second chinchilla from. Sometimes there just isn't any information. Even the best bloodlines can have problems no matter how careful we are.
Where you given any info at all on your second chin, or know when it was born, and by whom?

A lot of times the card will have contact information on the breeder. If it doesn't list the breeder, look for any info such as a herd ID on any of the animals on the card. For example my information would read MTWC Z16. You could then google for a breeder directory, and maybe find info this way. The number is for the year the chinchilla was born, and the letters afterward, has to do with the sequence in which the chin was born in my herd.
IF the breeder doesn't want to share pedigree info, you could request they contact you if any problems ever arise, but think it is equally if not more important for you to also let them know if any problems ever arise with your chinchilla. This way if more than one animal from the same line has a possible genetic issue, they could be responsible, and pull that line, and not breed them.

Back