Pearl off to the vet in the morning :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proudmom25

A few days before Pearl delivered her babies, her cagemate Jade turned on her and bit her front paw which resulted in blood drawn. They were separated right away. The injury looked like it was healing well until a big chunk of the scab came off. It is looking like some bone is exposed and I noticed considerable swelling just now. I have her booked in to see the vet tomorrow morning. Please keep your fingers crossed that we have a good outcome.

I know she is nursing so don't know what to expect in terms of treatment at this point. Any ideas???

Poor girl. :(

100_5814.jpg

Make sure you let the vet know that she is nursing kits. No baytril for nursing mother's or young chins.

Yes definately tell them shes nursing. if you do have to give antibiotics make sure you are giving a probiotic (i like benebac) to replace natural flora. You will need to keep giving the probiotic for a good month after she goes off of them according to my vet.

We got back from the vet earlier this afternoon. Pearl did an amazing job. I brought her babies with her. I am so thankful I did as we were there for almost an hour and a half.

So...the outcome was not what I was hoping for. The vet put on his handy little magnifying lenses and checked it out. It's infected. He started her on antibiotics right away (only after checking to see what was safe while nursing of course). He gave her a shot of trimeth in the office. She didn't even flinch. Such a brave girl. I have an oral suspension of the trimeth to give her at home twice a day. He wants to get the swelling down and then perform an amputation of the finger next week...which will cost appx. $400-500!!!!

I am going to trust and believe that with the antibiotics the swelling will go down enough and the skin will wrap itself around the bone. I will do all that I can to keep it clean. I will start the epsom salt soaks and continue with the GV application.

Any update on Pearl? Hope she is okay.

Last edited:
Oh, wow. Your poor baby :[ I hope all goes well for your sweet girl and her babies :]

Back