Pear tree wood safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avmobr

I can't seem to find if pear tree wood is safe for chinchillas. I have one in my yard and I really need to trim it back so I thought i'd use some for my chin. It is never sprayed so that shouldn't be a problem.

Information on how to properly make it safe for my chin would also be very welcome.

Yep, pear is safe.

You have to scrub it, boil it, and bake it. There are several threads on here about how to properly prepare wood. I can't remember the temperature right off hand, but I think it's 250 until dry.

Pear is also a favorite wood, at least for my girls any how.

I scrub, boil then bake for 15min at 400 turn down to 350 for another 15 min then 300 for 30 min and finnaly 250 for another hour... Opening the oven in between temps to let any steam out.. I let it sit in the warm oven over night once I turn it off and if it's not quite dry in the morning I do 250 untill it's dry checking every 10-15 min (don't wanna burn it :p)
But that's just my odd oven process every one has their own method... I find my process will differ with room temp and humidity (ie weather as well) so find what works for you :)

I've got a massive tree in my yard. My sister has four trees in her yard and my mother has close to a dozen in hers. Looks like I'll be able to make plenty from them all :) Maybe even package some up and give to my sister for her chinchilla :p

Latest posts

Back