Peanuts?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daina91880

Ugh... I didn't realize that a toy I bought at Petsmart had peanuts hidden inside one of the vine balls and I just caught Cissy nomming on one. I took it from her, much to her dismay and cleared out the rest of them. She ate at least one peanut and some of the shell before I realized what she had. Please tell me peanuts aren't too harmful! There's nothing worse than being as careful as possible and finding one mistake slipped by.

It doesn't sound like she had to many. She will be fine. I guess you could keep an eye out for peanut allergies, sneezing, pawing at the mouth. Glad you realized it and won't give anymore

It's been a few hours now and she seems just fine, so I'm assuming no allergies. She's also not too miffed at me for snatching her yummy treat away. I guess the apple twig I gave her in exchange helped smooth everything out, lol.

Note to self: stop buying crap at petsmart ;)

Yeah... a lot of those fun looking toys have peanuts or walnuts in the center. It is very frustrating because otherwise they're typically okay pricewise and a lot of fun for chinchillas. I agree with the others in one peanut is not going to hurt her. So long as she's still eating and drinking normally I think her system will be fine. She might have an upset tummy if she ate too many. It's mainly that they're so fatty which is why chinchillas can't have them. It's more of a long term damage thing. I saw some vine toys with bells in the middle instead of nuts, those would be safe. I've also been known to break toys and put them back together after removing items chinchillas can't have. Sometimes they have these great bird toys for like 12 bucks but they're strung on leather ropes. I've never bought one yet but the other day I had the urge to buy one and restring it with sisal or hang it on a chain. It's so hard to find decent toys locally.

Nuts are fat and chins don't process fat well, look out for bloat symptoms in the next day or so, most likely the chin will be fine but keep a eye out.

Yeah... a lot of those fun looking toys have peanuts or walnuts in the center. It is very frustrating because otherwise they're typically okay pricewise and a lot of fun for chinchillas. I agree with the others in one peanut is not going to hurt her. So long as she's still eating and drinking normally I think her system will be fine. She might have an upset tummy if she ate too many. It's mainly that they're so fatty which is why chinchillas can't have them. It's more of a long term damage thing. I saw some vine toys with bells in the middle instead of nuts, those would be safe. I've also been known to break toys and put them back together after removing items chinchillas can't have. Sometimes they have these great bird toys for like 12 bucks but they're strung on leather ropes. I've never bought one yet but the other day I had the urge to buy one and restring it with sisal or hang it on a chain. It's so hard to find decent toys locally.

The toy does have a bell in one of the balls. When I rread the description online, I swear it listed the bell and not the nuts. I was so mad! Luckily, I was curious enough to see what she was munching on when I heard her chewing away at something crispy. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how she found peanuts!

I bought a bird toy that was all wood except for some leather squares strung every few inches. I just cut the leather off and it was perfect!

I actually bought tons of toy parts and plan on just making my own from now on. It's easier than stressing.

Latest posts

Back