Pawing when eating rosehips?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ying5883

I gave my chinchilla a whole rosehip last night and I noticed while eating he had some sort of pawing motion on the sides of his mouth. He didn't look like in pain (to me) because he continued to chew and finish the rosehip like nothing was bothering him. And he ate normally last night. But I'm still a little concerned because pawing may not a good sign anyway.

He does not paw otherwise while chewing toys, eating hays or pellets, just for rosehips. So I'm thinking do you guys have similar things happen when giving rosehips?

Whole rose hips have some kind of sticky stuff in them. Most chins paw at their mouths when eating them. Nothing to worry about.

I hate whole rosehips. It is actually it itchy stuff inside. The stuff they make itching powder from I have heard. I give the cut and sifted rosehips. No itchy stuff then.

Thank you so much for this information. I feel so happy now.

As for the stuff in the center, I thought it would be fun for chins to decide which part to eat or not to eat. But it sounds like it is annoying. I will pay more attention next time.

Latest posts

Back