Pawing at mouth?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle43

Just wondering if this is normal grooming and if so how much is normal. I see Mr. Chinny doing it a few times a day and am wondering if it is normal or if he may have some dental problems.

He does chew a lot on his lava ledge, apple wood, and wood hidey house. He eats a lot and poos normal. I only got him in November and have put off a vet check up until after the holidays.

Since he has been with me I think he has had many more chew toys then he is used to. When I got him he had 1 piece of wood and everything else was plastic, which was really chewed up too.

Thanks in advance ;)

If he's just grooming he's probably just nose swiping and you could be mistaking it as pawing, I would be really concerned if they were pawing while eating or chewing on something or so I've read never had to experience it myself.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with a better answer.

Keep a close eye on eating and watch weight loss, mouth swiping is a early sign of teeth issues, especially if it persists.

Back