Parasites

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy

Hey guys! Little Chico has worms, Strongyloids, boooo. I'm thinking that maybe the person I got her from way back when wasn't careful enough with her. But dang, four years with it? Well she has always been rather tiny so it's possible I suppose. She's being treated with Panacur and it's funny when she takes it because it doesn't taste good. She proceeded to run around wiping her mouth on everything. She's in a small cage inside her big cage so that she can't recontaminate herself. I'm going to be replacing the wooden shelves in the big cage soon. Oh, and ignore the fact that her name is Chico when she's a girl...She was sexed wrong by the "breeder" and vets for 4 years. I'm on the look out for Probiotic in town, and ordered lifeline. Any other suggestions people have...or input. We can all talk about how my chinchilla got worms and how she probably has an urge for world domination due to the worms talking to her D:
So yea, anyway that's what ended up happening with little Chico. No pyometra or diabetes; just worms. I wish I could kill all those suckers for taking food from my baby girl. Grr I hate you worms, DIE!
Since, she acts just fine I'm guessing I got lucky and the worms haven't done any damage to her organs yet. Would there be anything I could do if that had happened...or even a way to tell?

I'm trying to think of what all needs to be cleaned. I need to wash the sheets and pillowcases right, but some pillows didn't have pillowcases on them. What the heck do I do about those? I need to vacuum too, but what do I do about thing I can't really clean like chairs? Anything I can't think of that I'm missing? How should I clean her wooden houses? I can't just throw them any, then she would ahve nothing to hide in.

For the most part anything dry should be o.k. with those you really just need to get rid of all of the poop. Also, I don't know if your vet mentioned this but you may want to find out if she has the variety that infects humans.

If you're really paranoid you can take the houses and things out and dip them in a bleach solution, let them dry in the sun for a few hours and put them back in.

I wouldn't bother honestly, been worming horses, cattle, cats and dogs with those for years and (knock on wood) never gotten anything myself, though it would be nice to shed a few pounds. Kind of surprised to hear of a chin with them, she may have had access to other animal's feces or been loose in the yard (Strongyloids live in the soil) to get them.

Soil? Wow I have no clue. I got her from a teacher..so classrooms...yea not the cleanest environment. She wasn't positive that they were strongyloides since she couldn't find a nice picture to match with a chinchilla. I didn't change the bedding today, but I'm going to be changing it everyday now. I think I'll lysol all my stuffed animals and such. There is going to be one BIG pile of stuffed animals out in the family room. I'm worried she isn't eating. She had like two nibbles of hay...that's all I've seen ehr eat today, but then again I just slept 24 hours due to allergies, migraine, and lack of sleep the previous day @_@
I've gotten her to drink some water, but she has drunk some on her own as well. Not sure how to make her eat =/
Waiting on the Life line in the mail...
I suppose since it was a biology class any dirt from plants growing in there could of done it.

Strongyle eggs are excreted through feces. They can live in the soil for many months/years but can only get there when an animal poops. If your vet is unsure of the diagnosis I would send a sample off to a diagnostic lab. They can give you a better idea of the parasite. If you have other pets-worm them as well. She got it one way or the other.

Latest posts

Back