Pairing?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanln97

Cuddling Extraordinaire
I've known for months that Rocco is lonely. Tonight, my mom agreed. It's not set in stone that I'm getting another chin, the idea is just out in the open. I have a FN 142 and I can separate them if necessary, but then what's the point of getting another chin? So anyways:
1. Should I get another chin?
2. Should I get a male or a female? (rocco's male)
3. If I get female, will they fight?
If I get a female, I'll be having Rocco "fixed" without a doubt. Will they fight and will he still try to mate with her? Rocco has just entered the "hump the human every time he tries to change the food and hay and/or give him
Affection" phase.

You shouldn't put chins through any unnecessary surgery. There's always the possibility that they can die under the knife. If you really want to get him a friend, it would be best to get another male. Separate them at first, read up on how to properly introduce them and hopefully with some luck and patience they will become friends and you can let them live together :)) I'm a new chinchilla owner (others here could probably give you more info), but this is just some things I recently learned and I am getting Fonzie a friend next week! I wish you luck :))

if you do get another chin, quarantine in a separate room for at least 30 days is recommended, so that would give Rocco time to have the surgery and recover if his future cagemate is to be female, but i think a same sex roommate would be better, since it would be less stressful for Rocco if he doesn't have to go through surgery.

there is the possibility that Rocco won't get along with a new chin, so separate cages may be a necessity. i've read about chins trying to harass each other through the separating level of a FN 142, so cages may have to be put apart in the room if they decide they don't like each other.

another option is to spend more time with Rocco, one on one. lots of play time, lots of scritches and love. he may come out of his lonely phase and bond even closer to you.

I'm guessing Rocco would just bully a younger chin, so that's not an option.

Is there a reason you think Rocco would bully a younger chin? The easiest intros/pairings I've ever had have been a baby/young chin to an older/adult chin.

Actually, I just thought that's how it was. Thanks for the information! I might try a younger chin if I get another one.

Actually, you are more likely to have luck in introducing them if the new chin is young. The older chin will not feel as threatened by the introduction of a young chin, and youngsters have a "i'm a baby, don't hurt me" squeak which helps this along.

I wouldn't get a female....you should probably not put the little guy under. It is a very dangerous procedure and something could go wrong fast. It is usually best to get another male unless you plan on breeding. If you do not have any intention of breeding them do not get a female with a male.
It doesn't matter if it is a young or an older chin. The younger one will probably be less likely to fight with him. Younger chins are always easier to bond with another chin. I just got a little guy and he is already bonding with my two other male chins.

Ive got two females, when i decided to get Lola a friend i chose to have one close to the same age. I dont know if this is why they get on so well but Lola is definatly the more dominant of the two.

I rescued two male chins fromt wo different families. same age (2 years). one is considerably larger than the other. i had to keep them in separate cages that were directly next to eachother. i also had regular supervised play time. after a year i purchased a new cage (neutral) and put them both in there. they used to hump eachother non-stop, but that ended within a few months. they cuddle together all the time now, but every now and then there is still a little spat.

Back