Painted Chinchilla Cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i<3chins

Hi, I have a chinchilla cage that was previously used for my other chins that sadly passed months ago. I'm planning on moving 2 different chins into it. I've cleaned it with vinegar and then with bleach, and I think all of the scrubbing caused it to rust. My father used steel wool to get the rust off and then spray painted it without me knowing. The paint was lead free and there are no fumes left. I'm not sure if the paint was labeled non-toxic on the can though.. Will this be okay ir should I have him remove that paint and buy something else to paint it with? The paint was Dupli Color Engine Enamel :impatient: I highly doubt this paint is safe, but wanted to checkin first. It was painted in only a few spots where the cage had rusted and I've never seen the chins chew on their cage bars, but I'll do whatever is safest. If necessary my father can remove the paint with paint thinners and repaint with a different brand. Thanks for any help.

I researched this myself. Rustoleum brand is supposed to be okay. Remove that paint, use fish oil on rust spots to prevent further rust and use rustoleum. Allow to sit for 7-10 days then wash off with water. This is what I was told by a vet.

Back