Paint

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BooBoo*TheKiddo*

I was looking at different website and I saw wood houses that have been decorated. some with paint and some with smething else.

I didn't think paint was safe for chins if chewed. So I was wondering what type of paint it is that is used.

I dont know for sure but I would think that non toxic paint for children?

I was actually wondering the same thing today!! If I find out anything at all i'll let ya know!

I think some people use Kool-aid to kind of stain wood. I don't know what kind of paint you could use for chins. Even if it said it was non-toxic, I would be iffy.

Thanks acbieri.

Kristin, that what I was thinking. I would be iffy too. Just because its safe for humans doesn't necessary mean its safe for chins. maybe thats just the way I'm seeing it. I mean they are cute houses out there decorated but I'm just iffy as to how its safe for them.

we painted just the outside of our cage. they can not get to it at all, all the inside we used kiln dried pine and covered most of it with sheet metal so that it is easy to wipe clean.

edit: i see that you said wood house not cage........my bad.

^That's kind of where I am. Food coloring...it can be used to dye wood as well...why chance it a chins health with paint.

I don't know. I guess I'd rather my chins have plain boring not cutely decorated house that I know are safe than having cute adorable decorated houses that I don't know if is safe. Their health and well being comes first to me.
That's just my opinion. I'm not saying that those who have houses that have been painted don't care about their chins health I'm just seeing I don't trust the paint.
i've heard of things beening claimed unsafe for chins even though they are safe for humans and other animals, I just don't see how paint is any different.

The few people that I know of who paint their houses have told me they use milk paint. I have never tried this with the hidey houses I build so I cannot say if its safe or not. I use USDA professional food dye for our toys and thats the only thing that I dye with any sort of color to it.

Latest posts

Back