Paddington!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I'm Kate. I'm brand new to this forum and relatively new to chinchillas. My little guy is named Paddington. He's precious. I have a blog about him with some pictures at paddingtonnov.blogspot.com. I'd really appreciate you guys checking it out and giving me some feedback!:) He's a chinwinner.

Welcome Kate and Paddington!!

Edit: I didn't get very far on your blog. But please don't give him any fruits or vegetables. They are very bad for chins and can lead to health problems or even death. If you do some reading on this forum you'll find a complete list of safe treats. Any treat should be given in moderation 1 -2 pieces a week. Healthy treats include rosehips, unfrosted shredded wheat, plain cheerios.

Chins really don't need treats, its more for our enjoyment as owners. Chins only need pellets, hay, water, and some people like to give special supplements. If you're looking to add variety to his life get him a wide variety of wood sticks and toys. :) Those are healthy and he can have as many as you want to give him.

Last edited:
Awwwww! I have always been a HUGE Paddington fan! Just the thought of a chinny named Paddington makes me all warm and fuzzy.

Welcome!

Thank you all! And thanks for telling me about the fruit thing. I don't know what I'd do if something happened to him.

Welcome Kate and Paddington!!

Edit: I didn't get very far on your blog. But please don't give him any fruits or vegetables. They are very bad for chins and can lead to health problems or even death. If you do some reading on this forum you'll find a complete list of safe treats. Any treat should be given in moderation 1 -2 pieces a week. Healthy treats include rosehips, unfrosted shredded wheat, plain cheerios.

Chins really don't need treats, its more for our enjoyment as owners. Chins only need pellets, hay, water, and some people like to give special supplements. If you're looking to add variety to his life get him a wide variety of wood sticks and toys. :) Those are healthy and he can have as many as you want to give him.

This!
Just last week I was visiting a local chin rescue when they got an alarming call of a chin owner who was looking for advice. They had been giving their chin fresh veggies all their life and were now dying from bloat.

Chins in the wild live in the desert, where everything is dry dry dry. Because of this, their bodies are not evolved to process foods with high water content. They also cannot have nuts because of the high fat content. It causes severe digestive issues. It may seem like they enjoy the food, but eventually it causes very serious problems and death. Usually the chins show no sign of being sick until it's too late. It's best to stop immediately and only offer chin safe treats from now on.

Welcome to the forums! Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have!

Last edited:
Some pictures of Paddington

Here are a few pictures. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Paddington christmas.jpg
    Paddington christmas.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 18
  • paddington cute.jpg
    paddington cute.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 17
  • paddington hat.jpg
    paddington hat.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 18
  • paddington jump.jpg
    paddington jump.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 18
Paddington is a cutie- I love that name!

I read through your blog. Just so you know for the future, if a chin's poo is soft enough that it sticks to his fur, then he is sick. Typically he is being fed the wrong things.

The edible hideaway is particularly bad for chinchillas. They are made of mostly sugar.

I am not sure if dandelion nubs are ok.. someone else on here might know. But nuts and dried fruit are bad. Nuts have fat, which chinchillas don't digest well. Dried fruit has sugar.

If you want to feed Paddington healthy treats, I'd go for willow twigs or rosehips. What kind of food do you give him?

Also, if you want to spoil Paddington, it might be better to buy him new types of toys rather than treats. Members of the forum here sell some really cute, chinchilla-safe toys, and I order from them a lot!

I feed him timothy hay cubes and this natural pellet food. And the poo only stuck to his fur the first day that I had him. Since then, it's been super normal. Thanks for the help. :)

Welcome! the name paddington is super cute!

Just wanted to add that a good food to feed him would be Mazuri or Oxbow instead of the kind with the leaves and pine cones, and as mentioned above no fruits, vegetables or nuts. Also, the edible log hideout is also bad it contains too much sugar. And make sure that the hammock is made of only fleece because it's the only safe materials for chins. Just some helpful tips!

Paddington is adorable!

My chin loves Shreddies (the plain ones), so if you want to give treats, that's an option! I also give rose hips but she doesn't like them as much as the Shreddies - she'll sometimes toss them aside in annoyance that it's not a Shreddie!

Paddington is adorable!

My chin loves Shreddies (the plain ones), so if you want to give treats, that's an option! I also give rose hips but she doesn't like them as much as the Shreddies - she'll sometimes toss them aside in annoyance that it's not a Shreddie!

Awe, that is cute! My chins have had both plain cheerios and rose hips, and they like both. I stopped giving them cheerios though. I am fighting a personal addiction to carbohydrates, so if I can't have cheerios, neither can they :p

Latest posts

Back