Oxbow Timothy Hay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alfalfa hay is fine as long as it is not the main hay or fed all the time. alfalfa has a larger calcium content than other hays, and that added calcium can have the potential to lead to kidney stones. i know it isn't heard of often for a chin to get kidney stones, but IMO there is no reason to potentially cause that problem by feeding alfalfa hay too much.

my boys get alfalfa hay cubes right now, in addition to their timothy and orchard grass hays. i will be stepping up their alfalfa intake a bit soon, when i get some really nice horse hay from a friend of mine. but i won't be feeding them the horse hay consistently, more so a couple to few times a week to keep their interest in hay/as a treat.

HI, i have been looking for good quality Timothy hay online (p.s. Kijiji),is it okay to get hay that has 60% Timothy and 40% alfalfa,:hmm: is it okay to feed this mixture of hay to chins every day? By the way, how can you tell if the hay they are selling is really Timothy hay? Any special texture visually? Thanks!

There are alot of us who feed alfalfa daily and have for years to many many chins with no problems.

25 lbs of timothy plus 9 lbs of alfalfa last me about 6 months with 10 chins & 1 fatty guinea pig. my guys like the oxbow. i have tried some bales from farms but they wouldnt touch it. i also got a few other brands that they did not like.
i feed mostly timothy. 1 chin gets only alfalfa and a couple i mix alfalfa & timothy on pretty much a daily basis. the thing with hay is sometimes even when you find a brand they love, the fields change and that batch isnt their favorite. to me.....oxbow has been more "consistant" than other brands but you need to find what works for your pets.

Back