Oxbow freeze dried treats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillygizmo

My kids have 4 feety's
I was in my local pet supply today and while I was in the Oxbow section I saw that they have packaged freeze dried plain bananas and strawberries. Are these really chin safe? I would think the sugar content is not good for them but perhaps freeze drying makes it better? Let me know ! Thank you everyone

I would have to agree with Essentia, that the sugar content is too high. What makes it confusing is that Oxbow is a good name, but I guess a good company can still put out bad products...

Oxbow makes more than just chinchilla items. It isn't that they are putting out a bad product, it just may be bad for chicnhillas. On top of it, you will still hear vets say fruit and veggies are fine for chins. I just choose not to give it for my own piece of mind. My chins do just fine on pellets, hay and a few non-sugary treats.

Well I guess it depends on who they are marketing the product for. But I agree, there are vets out there that do suggest fruits and veggies for chins, and I also agree that the safest food for our chins are pellets and hay, apple sticks, and the occasional cheerio, rolled oats, or shredded wheat. The sugar content in a lot of other foods makes them potentially dangerous for chins.

Back