Oxbow Botanical Hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenko

While at Petsmart for timothy hay and pellets, I thought I'd try one of the other Oxbow hays that were available, since I recall reading about some owners switching it up for their chins. Thought I was grabbing Orchard hay, it turned out to be "Botanical Hay," which turned out to be a mix of Timothy and "herbs". It seems like some of you have used this hay safely as more of a treat. What would be a good frequency to feed Botanical Hay?

I give my boys a little flower pot of botanical hay 2-3 times a week and they absolutely love it! I also mix it up and sometimes they get orchard grass or sometimes oat hay. Timothy hay is, of course, available 24/7.

I give a handful a week to each cage but we have other treat hays we give during the week so it would probably be fine more often. I also give them oxbow oat hay but it isn't as appreciated by the chins so we may not buy it again. Some of them just seem to throw it around, make a mess, and then sleep on the pile without eating any. They sure attack the botanical hay though. Then we have local organic clover hay that I feed sparingly and another brand of oat hay that is cut later than the oxbow oat hay so it has little green oat heads. They usually eat that oat hay.

Thanks for the response, Basket and akane! I gave him a few strands of it just now and he gobbled it right up, haha! It sounds like a handful or two over the course of a week is the way to go :)

Latest posts

Back