Oxbow Adult Rat Food

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toxxxic.kitten

My work started started carrying the Oxbow Adult Rat food. I didn't even know that Oxbow made a formula for rats. I was wondering if anyone else knew about it or had experience with it? Is it better then regular lab blocks or about the same? I brought some home for my boys to try to see if they even liked it. Would it also be okay for mice and/or hamster? I know Oxbow is a good brand for Chinchillas, but I was just wondering if it would be good for rats as well.

It seems to be a hit with my boys. I gave some to my mice & hamster as well and they seemed to have liked it too. I was reading on the bag that the food wasn't recommended to feed to pregnant or nursing rats, though.

Well, if one of my boys get pregnant or start nursing, food will be the least of my problems!:rofl: Might give it a try next time!

LOL! I talked with a professional breeder of mice that's a real good friend of mine. She owns a pet store and stocks it in her shop and said that she'll feed it to the rats that will eat it. Some seem to like it while others don't. She told me it was WAY better then lab blocks, so...looks like I have a new food! It was a hit with my boys and I see on Oxbow's website that they make a 40 lb. bag. I will have to see how much that will cost me at work. :)) Also, she said she still feeds it to her nursing/pregnant rats, but just not the food exclusively as it isn't a very good staple for females as it is males -- which I guess makes sense. Even when I had pregnant/nursing females I gave them extra stuff to help make milk, just in case.

Back