Overweight Chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragsil

I´ve been weighing my chins weekly, Silver hovers between 605g and 618g whilst Dragon (8 months old) Is around 550g at the moment but steadily gains a gram or so a week.

I weighed my new chin Sid for the first time today and was incredibly shocked, he looks so much smaller compared to Silver and Dragon despite being two years old but he weighs 625g! Is this ok?

I know it´s a good thing to have chins on the heavier side but I´m a bit concerned since he was being fed a junk food diet before I got him with at least one entire peanut (including shell) per day and I´m a bit worried about how the fats from eating so many nuts could have an effect on him.

He is currently on a high quality pellet mix with unlimited timothy hay and two rosehips per week since I cold switched him off the mixed food he was on, with this swap and elimination of the nuts would I expect his weight to drop or stay the same? Just curious since I was so shocked that he weighs more than both of my other boys despite being tiny.

I wouldn't be too worried, some breeders have chins well over 1000 grams. Besides, the chubbier they are, the cuter they are!! :)

I got Doesha from people who were feeding him junk and didn't have a proper enviroment for him, all he did was sit in a empty dust house. He was truly flabby with no muscle tone and no real color to his grey coat. What a changed chin he was in a month, sleeker, toned, bright coat, happy and interested. Your chin is not fat at all and his health, appearence and attitude will only get better with proper food. Let him have all the proper food he wants and maybe a wheel for exercise and toning.

That´s nice to know, thanks! I was worried about what two years of eating so many peanuts would do to him, he doesnt look fatty maybe just a little bigger in the butt. It´s more in comparision to my other two that i was shocked since he is much, much smaller appearance wise than both of them. Maybe they are just bundles of fluff ;)

He is being a bit picky with his pellets but loves his hay, his poop is still a bit small but I´m hoping that settles down with the proper diet.

Here he is looking chubby and cute. He gets plenty of exercise here, wish I could get a photo of him to show how tiny he seems in comparison to my other two but he is still in quarantine.
PC252826.jpg

Thanks! He actually looks better here now than when we got him, I´m not sure if he was being dusted properly in his old home but I use Witte Molen sand which a lot of breeders here use and he has started to improve and look nice and velvety :) He has some cracks in his coat around the ear area and towards the back, not sure if this will improve over time or if it´s just unrealistic of me to expect him to have a top coat since he is of unknown breeding. Either way, he´s the cuddle bug of the chins and I´m crazy about him!

Latest posts

Back