Overly Feisty Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proteus

So, in Ruffle's playroom, there's a closet that I keep a variety of cleaning supplies. I learned very early on that the clearance underneath that door was high enough to accommodate her. I've taken to covering it with a variety of materials, but she's learned to pull all of them back to gain access to this mystery area behind the door. I'm doing my best to keep her out of it by placing my hand between her and the threshold when she tries to pull back the mat I have in place, but she's taken to biting my fingers. She's yet to draw blood, and I've yet to back down, so I'm sure she knows she can't get through despite coming close more than once. I've started to scoop her up and place her on the opposite side of the room when she starts biting my fingers, making sure to be gentle when scooping her up, and I always let her jump out of my hand of her own accord instead of just plopping her on the ground, but I'm worried I may accidentally hurt her if she struggles overmuch, and I imagine this can't be good for her stress level. So is there a way to condition a chinchilla to *not* do something?

Following. My chin has begun to do this as well. In the exact same circumstance. She actually drew blood last week. Up till now she has been very sweet and gentle. She has had my whole finger in her mouth and nipped me many times but seemed to not realize she could hurt me if she wanted too. Always weak little nips. What has come over her? she is 4 years old

I trained my chinchillas to stop something when I say 'hey!' And clap loudly, but it only works temporarily as they are usually back at it in a matter of minutes. Is there no way to use a heavy piece of wood to block off the chinchilla's access? It only has to be out when the chinchilla is out.

Maybe something like this would help keep her out? http://amzn.com/B00QB0186S You would still need to supervise her to make sure she doesn't chew and eat it, but at least it will block the door.

Honestly, once a chin gets it into their head that they want to go somewhere, they will find a way. I blocked off my kitchen (I have a small apartment so furbaby gets out of cage time in the living room which attaches to the open galley kitchen) with a flattened out cardboard box and some plastic boxes to anchor one end and weights on the other. He kept banging it by wall surfing and eventually was able to work one side free, then he discovered the kitchen. After that, every single time, he wanted in and would bang the cardboard or jump on top of the boxes (parkour chin). So I finally gave up and let him in, but I have to block of the fridge and the stove so he doesn't get under it. Sigh.

As far as nipping, mine will do that but if I make a chin bark sound at him, he stops but if he bites really hard, I'll lightly pinch his nose and say no, this usually happens when I'm holding him and he doesn't want any more snuggles. They do learn (but that doesn't mean they won't keep doing it).

You can also cut a piece of pine board and put it in front of the door at the bottom and put an edging block ( or two ) in front of it. You can get the blocks at Home Depot or a garden center for a couple dollars. Works like a charm and easy to store away.
The chins can chew the pine in frustration or curiosity. At the same time they can't move the blocks. Sanding the pine board edges are a good idea if you can do it.

Yep, kd pine planking (untreated) is all that has ever worked for me. My girls were always way too stubborn to be trained!

Latest posts

Back