Over heating- or just pooped from playing so long?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna_chin

I got my chin Luna, 2 weeks ago. I don't have a wheel for her just yet, I plan on getting the flying saucer steel one, so I let her run around in the bathroom with me for about an hour an a half close too 2 hours. After she's played a lot she likes to lay beside the toilet, kinda like she's pooped (really tired from so much play). When I put her back in her cage she does the same thing as well, i'm really thinking its from her being so worn out.

I saw that you have to keep the room that your chin is in around 59F, well- I have 3 siblings, and its winter time right now- so the house is warm. My grandma has her own heating, and A/C system in her room, but not for any others. I keep the fan on in my moms room constantly, but I don't know how I could get that room too 59F, without the whole house complaining.

What do you guys think I should do?

You don't have to keep it at 59 degrees, I believe that is the low limit for temp. Keep it between 59 and 72 or so. It just may be too long of a play time for her, how old is she? I let my boys out for about an hour and a half to 2 hours, but they have access to their cages and can take a rest, grab a pellet, or get a drink if they want. If she's younger than 6 months I don't think playtime is recommended at all. I would say just limit her playtime to about half of what you're doing now and see if it gets better for her.

You don't have to keep it at 59 degrees, I believe that is the low limit for temp. Keep it between 59 and 72 or so. It just may be too long of a play time for her, how old is she? I let my boys out for about an hour and a half to 2 hours, but they have access to their cages and can take a rest, grab a pellet, or get a drink if they want. If she's younger than 6 months I don't think playtime is recommended at all. I would say just limit her playtime to about half of what you're doing now and see if it gets better for her.

Thank you so much! Yes, i plan to keep her playtimes limited and shortened now. Again, thank you for your help. :)

How old is she? Chinchillas under 6 months shouldn't play more than 15 mins at a time as they can go into sugar shock. This could happen if they're older too. But usually if they're young that could be it.

I don't know how warm you have the central heating set to, but if you could convince your family to set it to 70ish, that would probably idea. You could always approach it as "But mom, think of all the money you'll save since we're not heating the house as warm!" :p

Just a note, fans don't make it any colder. They'll just distribute the air. So if you had a window cracked (I know, not going to happen in MD in winter), it would circulate the cold air throughout the room. Fans make people feel cold because of sweat evaporation. Chins don't sweat, so a fan doesn't help chins.

If you're sure it isn't sugar shock and you think its the heat, get a marble tile (Or a "Chin-Chiller" from a chinchilla store) and keep it in the fridge until playtime. It'll be a nice cold place to sit or lie down when the heat gets to be too much. Plus if she chooses to lay down NOT on the Chin-Chiller, you'll know it's sugar shock

I don't know how warm you have the central heating set to, but if you could convince your family to set it to 70ish, that would probably idea. You could always approach it as "But mom, think of all the money you'll save since we're not heating the house as warm!" :p

Just a note, fans don't make it any colder. They'll just distribute the air. So if you had a window cracked (I know, not going to happen in MD in winter), it would circulate the cold air throughout the room. Fans make people feel cold because of sweat evaporation. Chins don't sweat, so a fan doesn't help chins.

I can try that, I'll go upstairs and turn off the fan. Yeah, it's really cold outside right now, but maybe if I keep the window cracked? It feels around 60-70 in the house right now. But oma always keeps the house around that temp when it gets this cold. I just checked what the temperature in the house is and it's 72, is that alright?

Yeah, I let Luna play just for a little bit a few minutes ago, she gets sleepy fast. I actually have no idea how old she is- I got her from a pet store, but I do know that she is a baby from her size. I do wish I knew her age. Here's a picture of her.

Attachments

• IMG_20121229_130753.jpg
    IMG_20121229_130753.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 29

This is also how she lays down after a long time of play.
http://instagram.com/p/ToD6nQx5Br/

To me it kind of worries me, but I've seen other people's chins lay down like that. But, she does fall asleep beside the toilet after jumping all over the place for awhile. So maybe she just is sleepy, hm. I do have a slab, she doesn't really go on it much, but I do need to order some pellets.

It might just be the time of day that she's playing too. Chins are awake more around dusk and dawn. Maybe just try doing a shorter playtime after dinner time. You don't have to let her out to play everyday either, if her cage is big enough she will get enough exercise bouncing around in there.

She looks pretty young. I would limit her playtime to no more than 15 minutes for now. As she gets older, you can lengthen the time. BTW, you can not tell whether it is low blood sugar, overheating or worn out just by whether she chooses to lay on the tile. Some chinchillas won't lay on the tile no matter how hot they get. No matter the cause, she is still playing for too long for her little body and needs shorter play times. If she still gets like that with shorter pay times, shorten them some more or eliminate them completely. Chinchillas do need play time, but they do love it. 72 degrees is just fine, but it might help to take her to a cooler room when she plays. It is usually recommended to lower the temperature by at least 5 degrees prior to play time.

wow luna chin is so cute and how old is she, she looks like a big girl sitting there on your leg, my gus is about 1 year and 4 months and he isnt that big, but she is adorbleand looks like she has alot of attitude,(good attitude that is)

Mine lay like that if they over work themselves in playtime, she probably isnt physically fit yet. When you do longer play times make sure she has access to water and food.

You can also check her ears for overheating, they get redder and really warm, cause they can lay on there side when hot too.

Back