Outraged!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurenxx810

Backstory: I live in a small college town and I am a student at the university here and have been for three years. I got my baby Oliver off of craigslist a few weeks ago and I'm glad I did because even though the lady who sold him to me claimed to be a breeder, I don't think she was very knowledgable at all about proper housing and care (plastic everywhere) so I consider getting Ollie a "semi-rescue". Anyway, what is really making my blood boil is what I saw earlier today. I had to pick a friend up from someone else's house and ended up going inside for a little. Then I saw her chinchilla, I felt my heart drop into my stomach. small plastic bottom cage, care fresh bedding that probably hasn't been changed for weeks, plastic house, plastic wheel, not one wood chew toy, "fiesta" food (the kind with treats), minimal hay, and a BOWL of water. The little girl did pop out of her house for a bit and her fur told me everything else I needed to know. matted and fur chewing. This baby needs rescuing. How do I go about this? I don't personally know this owner, only through my friend. I'm not sure if I'll be able to permanently keep her myself but even if I can get her out of there to nurse her back to health and find her a new GOOD home. I know I'm a new chin owner but I have learned so much (from you guys!) and done so much reading and research on what is best for my baby Ollie which has only translated into a passion and love for all chinchillas. Any advice on how to go about this is appreciated!

*heartbreak*

Oh my goodness, that poor little chinnie! I don't have any advice, but Please keep us posted if you are able to connect with the owner and offer any help to the chin.

If it's that bad, if you could get some pics, I wonder if any animal rescue organizations could help the chin?

You could try talking to the owner if you haven't already, because it is possible the owner just doesn't know better. Pet Stores are horrible for reccomending bad products like fiesta food, plastic everything, and not telling owners they need wood to grind down their teeth. I made a ton of mistakes, since mine were a surprise I did what any person would do and asked a petstore employee what I needed to get for them. Lucklily I knew about them needing dust bathes and not getting wet, because the employee didn't even mention needing bath dust or a bath house. I fed them Kaytee food, hay, bought them a plastic house, plastic water bottle, and lots of sugary treats. Finding this site has been a great thing for my babies.

**Update**

I decided to just "man up" and talk to the guy who has her. I tried to be as civil and nice as possible but this guy is totally ignorant. I asked him if he knew how improperly she was being cared for and he didn't want to hear it. I kept trying to reason with him and offered to help make improvements to her environment and he just continued to spew ignorance. I had had it at this point I told him that looking at his girl made tears swell up in my eyes because she isn't being treated well at all. (I did actually start tearing up, I think it got a little sense through to him) I told him that if he didn't feel like he could care for her anymore or did not want to care for her that I would be more than happy to take her. I continued pleading with him but he simply wasn't having it. I've done everything short of grabbing her and running. My heart is breaking every minute that I know she isn't safe.

Another option if she is really in bad shape, unclean cage and matted, etc as you described is to call animal services and report him. It's actually illegal to keep animals in unsanitary conditions, also depending on the size of the cage if it's smaller then 2'x2'x2' (or 8 square feet per chin) then that that is also illegal according to US and Canadian laws for cage size of chinchillas.

why dont you try talking to your friend about it? maybe then they can go to this person and talk to them. the owner might take the news better from the person who they know better, rather than a stranger. perhaps provide printouts from websites with correct information for your friend (who i assume isnt a chin owner) to show to this owner. it's worth a shot. if your friend is a good friend, they should know YOU and how YOU properly take care of YOUR chin(s), and they should know that this other person is not taking care of theirs.

It is vitally important that this person is educated in chinchilla husbandry, and quickly. Please keep us posted on any developments.

That's so awful. :( I hope this chin's life will improve one way or another.

Maybe the negative reaction is from embarrassment? (Hopefully). Maybe he will actually do some research now and make improvements... I agree with the others. Have your friend talk to him about it. If he isn't going to make improvements and get the chin back to health, get AC involved for sure!

**Update**

Okay so as of today this little girl is safe and home with me! I think that after I spoke to the previous owner and our mutual friend spoke to him to, he finally came to his senses and realized that he wasn't in the best position to continuing caring for her and said I seemed "much more passionate about chinchillas." DUH! and all living animals for that matter. Anyway, I had to separate Oliver's modified two story ferret nation cage, he wasn't very happy, until he realized a pretty little girl was moving in! haha, flirting like crazy! Despite all of the stress and neglect this poor girl has been through she let me work out most of her matted fur and even enjoyed her first dust bath, she looked thrilled! She really is so sweet which is surprising to me considering where she came from. Even after a few hours here she's started eating Oxbow and even drinking water from a proper bottle! So I'm hopeful that she's in good health, maybe malnourished but not sick either. I'm not sure I'll be able to keep her permanently but I certainly won't be giving her up until she's back in good health and I can find someone who will love her unconditionally. I think I'll call her Lilly because she's so pretty and sweet :heart5::heart5::heart5:

Attachments

• Lilly.jpg
    Lilly.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 59
YAY!!!! Saw the update, that is fabulous news! I am so glad you are able to spend some time nursing her back to health. Keep us posted on her progress, and let us know whatever you decide about keeping her verses finding her a new home.

*happy dance*!!!

Okay so as of today this little girl is safe and home with me! I think that after I spoke to the previous owner and our mutual friend spoke to him to, he finally came to his senses and realized that he wasn't in the best position to continuing caring for her and said I seemed "much more passionate about chinchillas." DUH! and all living animals for that matter. Anyway, I had to separate Oliver's modified two story ferret nation cage, he wasn't very happy, until he realized a pretty little girl was moving in! haha, flirting like crazy! Despite all of the stress and neglect this poor girl has been through she let me work out most of her matted fur and even enjoyed her first dust bath, she looked thrilled! She really is so sweet which is surprising to me considering where she came from. Even after a few hours here she's started eating Oxbow and even drinking water from a proper bottle! So I'm hopeful that she's in good health, maybe malnourished but not sick either. I'm not sure I'll be able to keep her permanently but I certainly won't be giving her up until she's back in good health and I can find someone who will love her unconditionally. I think I'll call her Lilly because she's so pretty and sweet :heart5::heart5::heart5:

That is awesome!! Thank you for saving this baby. Good luck to you and Lilly. :cute:

Back