Out-of-cage time

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbit721

I love furries
I'm looking to bring home a couple of young chinnies in a couple of weeks. They'll be just a few months old! I'd like to set up a playpen for them so they can have a little out of cage time (supervised).
How much out-of-cage time do you give very young chins?

None, or at most like 5 minutes a day until they are at least 6 months (no wheel until then either). They need their energy to be growing, and can over do it easily when out which can lead to low blood sugar and seizures. Keep in mind they will play a lot in their cage so out of cage play is adding to that. You'd be better off just working on bonding and holding the kits, let them crawl on you and things like that.

Yes, exactly :) bonding is best when young, but after 6 months you can start out little by little. Getting used to new environments takes time and it's better to go slow. Eventually, they trust and know their space well enough to utilize it for playtime -nowadays, I leave my most experienced out for 15-30 minutes on a good day. When they're ready for playtime, here are some tips: http://lychinchillas.com/2014/11/19/tips-for-chinchilla-playtime/ :)

yea, its best to leave them in the cage. The whole 6 month issue and growing that they mentioned. Plus they need time to get used to a new environment, new cages, new ppl, new sounds and smells. Letting them out before they have had time to adjust could result in them just being scared into a panic. Best to leave them in the cage and work on letting them adjust and bonding with them.

Back