Orchard Grass Only?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarissaRelf

Animal Lover <3
Can you feed a chin orchard grass only? At my local feed store there is a huge bag of orchard grass (Probably 4ft by 2 feet) and it was only $5 instead of $6-$8 for a tiny bag of timothy hay. I wont have a problem using it because I have a Flemish Giant rabbit as well which eats upwards of 5-6 handfuls a day of whatever hay as long as it's not alfalfa and I also have a tortoise that likes to use it to burrow in when he sleeps so I was wondering if chins can have just orchard grass so maybe I can save some money? Thank you :)

Orchard grass is fine to feed alone. I like to mix timothy and orchard and feed to my two. The orchard is usually softer and has less stems and the timothy is the opposite so it works different parts of the teeth.

I feed Idgie grass hay from a farmer. Not sure if it is orchard grass--the farmer just calls it "grass" lol. Has a little alfalfa in it. There are thin and thick stalks. $6 for a bale. Sometimes I share with neighbors who have rabbits since Idgie can't eat a bale of hay!

I feed orchard to my male, as he just throws his timothy all over the place and seems to definitely prefer orchard. My female is the exact opposite - she only eats the thicker sticks in the timothy and won't really eat much orchard. I always keep both on hand for my picky little eaters. :D

I prefer mixing it up so that teeth are worn down better. My first girl had to have 2 teeth filings. I have kept mixing up the hay and either the last filing now over 2 years ago seemed to either been so very very well done (ironically by a first timer...who then left the practice) or the hay or some combo has seemed to have helped.

I have actually heard and from my chinchilla breeder that Timothy should definately be the main hay for them. Mixing Orchard and Oat and other hays is fine but Timothy should be the main staple. :)

Back