Opinions on my boy's cage please! :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mircat

Hi guys...I'm still not very well integrated in this forum, but I wanted to get some opinions on how Davy's cage is set up. Now, I know his cage is not huge, but please don't bag on me for that D: I can't go any bigger than what he has, but I think I'm doing a pretty good job with the limited space.
Anyway this is the cage he has: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752703
I took out all the plastic stuff and put wooden ledges and a tube in there. Also, the grate that was for the bottom of the cage, and the ramps I turned into a little "attic" with 4 storage grids on the top of his cage. I just did that today actually, because his new Silver Surfer wheel is coming next week so I had to reorganize his cage to make space for it. It's going to go on the side opposite of his food, where the empty space is :eek: Oh, and the corners of the grids sticking out from the top sides of the attic are going to be cut and sand down today.
Let me know what you guys think, please! :)

Attachments

• IMAG0654.jpg
    IMAG0654.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMAG0656.jpg
    IMAG0656.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMAG0657.jpg
    IMAG0657.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG0655.jpg
    IMAG0655.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 48
I love the cage and how you've set it up.

Personally I don't think the size of the cage is what makes a good owner or the happiness of a chinchilla. Oscar was a returned pet to our breeder and had to return to a small cage until we bought him. He was very happy at the breeders despite losing his big cage and adjusted very well to us. His breeder even almost put him into breeding because he was doing so well with her (he earned a reserve color champion). I got lucky she really didn't need a mosaic boy.

The only things I noticed are that you've got a plastic water bottle and fabric fasteners for your hammock. Chins will chew on both. Even though the plastic bottle is outside the cage- mine found her way to it when I first got her! Glass is better. And also, that hammock looks like it's made for a ferret, and chins need different kinds because the fabric that attaches it to the ceiling could be ingested by your little guy. Wouldn't want that! Metal clips are better, I hear.
But on a more positive note, I love the attic! Never seen anything like that. :)

Latest posts

Back