Opinions/Advice needed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michelleideeaz1

So I read all the boards and found nothing to address my question, so here goes.... My new chin Jasper is going to be 4 months old on the 23rd and we've had him just shy of 3 weeks. Bonding between he and I is going very well. His cage is in our dining room in a house where just myself and my husband live. We don't get much company and have no other pets...I lavish all my attention on Jasper. Anyway...when we're bonding and my husband happens to come into the room, Jasper will run away scared. My hubby has pet him twice but has not officially started the bonding process because I'm not sure as to weather I should let Jasper trust me 100% before trying to introduce the two formally. I read somewhere that a lone Chin can bond with their primary caregiver intensely and may not want anything to do with other family members due to this.

Should I be letting my husband come in and bond while I'm there with Jasper, or should my husband be alone with Jasper or just wait altogether? It's kinda hard because Jasper sleeps so much( I'm assuming because he's a baby????), so he would only get like 10 minutes of time a night with him.

What are your experiences/thoughts/opinions on this subject?

Jasper and Niko are around the same age! I would suggest letting your husband sit in with you during play time =) Niko was like that to my boyfriend too, but after a couple play time sessions they became best buds! Niko now likes to sit on top of my boyfriend's head hahaha.

Awww that's sweet. So they didn't seem overwhelmed with another person in the room? My husband is around me all the time, so I know Jasper knows his voice and it may not stress him out. I also ordered some Organic Stress/Anxiety herb mix, so I'm hoping that'll help...

I think Niko was a bit more shy than overwhelmed. Once he saw that my bf had a treat, he wasn't scared anymore lol That herb mix has a lot of great stuff in it, so I am sure it will work great =) Good luck!

Well thank you!!!! Same to you :) Yeah, once the treats come out, it's a whole different ballgame. I know that under 6 months of age, they shouldn't have them, but I've given a few rosehips and probiotic cookies here and there and it's worked wonders!!!!!

In my case all 5 of my chins have primarily bonded with me, as there primary care giver. I take care of them and am around them the most.

When my dad was here, the chins were not nearly as comfortable around him. Even after a few years. They didn't even like the sound of his voice. His was much deeper and louder then mine. Often times if he started talking while they were trying to sleep, my girls would start barking at him. If he came in to the room they would often panic and hide.

That being said, once they got into the habit of him giving them a twig each morning when he got home from work, they looooved him from the moment he walked in to the moment they got there twig. ... Then they went back to being scared of him lol.

:laughitup: They're sneaky little things... Yeah, I keep trying to tell my husband to stop talking so loud and fast but that's not gonna happen. He's also as graceful as a bull in a china shop!

Yuki bonded with just me at first, but he's pretty cool with anybody as long as they have a treat (or there's a chance they have a treat) and aren't jumpy. Then again, everyone he's been around knows animals really well and has been briefed on chins specifically, so it may just be that the people are trained well. :) I got Yuki right before my boyfriend left for a year for military stuff. When he got back, Yuki just sniffed for treats, then during playtime tried to eat his hat. The way to get Yuki's love is definable through his stomach. The ratfink :)

Latest posts

Back