Onset of kidney disease, dental disease - prognosis?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amphy64

Henry stopped eating, so we took him to the exotics vet expecting he'd need his teeth burring again. Three spurs, Ok, fine, left him to have them burred. When we got the call back though, the vet said that it was advanced dental disease, that two teeth had fallen out, and that his bloods didn't look good. The vet is a different one to before, and I don't find him very clear, honestly. He's now said he does have kidney disease and prescribed a medication to support his kidneys, as well as taking him off the loxicom painkiller.

I'm completely thrown because the opinion before, when he was seen last year, had seemed to be that his teeth were Ok besides the spur and that his kidneys were holding up fine although he's on phenobarbitol. Though the very first blood test he had during investigations some years ago -he hadn't been on pheno long then- had a white blood cell count a little low, we concluded in the end it was a side-effect, if anything, rather than actual issue. I'd have tried taking him off it otherwise.

He's been a little quiet but once we finally got him over the previous teeth clipping -my local vet casually clipped the spur while he was conscious, cut his tongue, which really messed him up-, pnemonia and GI stasis, he'd had a few good months and seemed fine, and was even back to playing with toys. I wasn't expecting an underlying issue besides teeth. He looks better than he did last time -he's just been trying to eat some herbs on his own- so I can't really get my head around it, although I don't know if he's seemed more active because there is a bit of an 'edge' to it, he was crumbling pellets and now I'm not sure he was managing to eat as much as I thought. His weight looks Ok but maybe he's bloated? He's not seemed to urinate that much but they don't always. Could he have an infection...?

Is there anything else I could be looking into/doing for him? I already give a herbal supplement for kidney support, though he can't really eat it right now, I'm hand-feeding him. I'm not sure what I should be expecting, really.

Last edited:
Back