Only likes me when in his locked cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vito_Gretszky_Bros

Hi, new on here. I have two boys, brothers, Vito & Gretszky. They are both 11/2 yrs old. Gretszky does not let me touch him or pick him up. I can scratch his chin if he is in the cage and all doors are locked and shut. I can coax him into the bath house or into his running ball but if I touch him he barks and tries to bite me. Vito gets a little jumpy when first picking him up but only a few seconds and he's happy running around on us as of around us. I really want Gretzky to be as happy with us outside the cage as he is inside the cage. But I do not want to force him. It makes him anti social for days when I've managed to pick him up. Is this normal behavior? I've never seen or owned a chin that was sooo finicky on what I do with him or around him. And we brought the boys home when they were three months old. So they know us. Very well. Just hope I'm not the only one with an ocd chin.

Sounds to me that not wanting out or to be touched a lot is your chin's personality. I wouldn't worry at all. I have five girls and three are happy to get out. One is inquisitive about getting out. The other would rather spray you than be touched or brought out of the cage.

Don't feel bad. My male is all over me while in his cage. I can pet and rub him, he'll sit on my hand and shoulder. The minute he's out of his cage I no longer exist. Just enjoy what they let you do. You're only their food source.:thumbsup:

Good eye, Devi Xiao, I didn't even notice that. I hope it isn't a plastic exercise ball as chinchillas can overheat and could die while in one.

Back