Only Bark for heavy chewer

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGarl

I tried to do a search for my question but couldn't find anything or rather my queries found everything but the answer to my question, lol.

My chin likes to chew only the bark off chew sticks and such, then he leaves the rest of the stick to waste. He's putting a dent in my budget going through so many chew sticks every week. I leave them in his cage hoping he'll finish them off but mostly find them on the bottom of his cage all peed on.

He decimates anything chewable in a few seconds. I have a wooden house, lots of wooden ledges, a lava stone ledge, a long wooden cage edger, and a large toy with layers of wood and sticks. And about 5 chews sticks a day. Once the surface/bark is gone he's done with it.

Is there something chin-safe that is equivalent to bark that I can give him to chew on? Any ideas very appreciated!

Have you tried twigs instead of just giving sticks? Twigs are too thin to just nibble off the bark and would probably be better then just plain bark. The bark bites are good too, but bark tends to be softer then wood so it wont wear the teeth down as much. Also it's normally to go through a small handful worth of sticks and twigs a week, mine get 4-8 a day.
In addition to hanging toys you can also try perches (good for their feet anyway). My guys ignored the perches I made that I striped the bark off of, but the ones I left the bark on they do chew on from time to time even after most of the bark is gone. They can't ignore and throw the perch to the bottom of the cage.

I don't know where you are getting your sticks from, but in case you didn't know most vendors on here that sell sticks sell them by the pound and they aren't that badly priced, normally less then $10-15 a pound. A pound of sticks is quite a bit depending on the wood and if you get thick sticks or thin twigs.

My chin does the same thing!! I buy twigs rather than the sticks, it doesn't feel like as much of a waste since you get more in the package, and more gets eaten/chewed.

I def. want to try out those bark things!! Thanks, IceMaiden

Don't want to be a Debbie downer, but twigs/sticks are WAY cheaper than dental bills, so if he wants to strip bark and discard, then give him what he wants because the alternative of not chewing is worse.

Thanks Amethyst and Minccino, I'll def check out using twigs and see how he does.

ticklechin, you make a good point but I wouldn't even consider not giving him sticks. Thanks for the input.

:)

If I'm dangerously low on sticks, Ive sometimes let my nark only girl strip it then pass it to the wood destroyer. She doesn't care what the wood looks like, she enjoys the pre chewed just as much as her fresh ones she gets in addition. Its merely to make me feel less wasteful lol.

If you have another chin who chew the whole stick and not just the bark, you can also pass the ones he's finished with so they aren't going to waste.
I don't mean just give the other chin his leftovers, give this chins new toys too.

Have you tried dying with unflavored kool-aid after he chews the bark off to see if he'd chew the stick that way?

Back