Once a nipper always a nipper?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JodiO

As many of you know, my Jerry, who is 8 mos old recently had an issue with gas. I had to give 3 different meds plus Critical care twice daily for a week. He hated being burritoed and struggled terribly. I'm happy to say that he seems 100% better. However, during the week of force feeding / medicating he began nipping to try to get away....not hard enough to break skin, but a nip none the less. He was never a nipper!!! He now runs away the minute I put my hand near him and tries to nip every time I pick him up. In time will he trust me again or is it " once a nipper, always a nipper"? I try to just give him scritches and then leave him alone to gain trust again, but there are times when I simply have to pick him up ( like after play time to put him back in his cage) and I hate that he now tries to nip. Anyone deal with this issue? Thanks!

I believe he will not nip in time Jodi. They hate, hate, HATE being force fed so it's natural for him to think you're going to do that when you pick him up. Bobo has always been a biter but she used to always spray whenever I went by the cage or tried to get her out and over time that has stopped. She still kacks at me and sometime bites but not the way she used too.

Just keep being your awesome self and he will know you aren't trying to feed him and stop nipping.

I dont believe he will always be a nipper. My one boy came from a bad home and used to BITE (draw blood) but he eventually stopped.

Im sure your boy will trust you again in time :)

He'll come around. Whenever I've have a injured/sick chin they start to associate me with whatever their treatment is. Once they've recovered I take time to "re-bond." sit by the cage and talk to them. Place my hand in the cage but not pick them up, scritch them but not pick them up. Eventually everything returns to normal and they realize I'm not coming to 'torture' them.

I'm so glad to hear that your little man is better!

Agreed. It's all still very fresh with him so definitely keep going the way you are and in time he'll be back to his normal adorable self. :))

Yes, he will stop I'm sure. Do not give into his nips though. Like what was said, pick him up if you want or need to but also spend time with your hand in the cage giving scritches and ocasional safe treats, even just a food pellet or choice piece of hay. If you retreat when he mis-behaves it will just make him worse.

It will take time for him to get over it. As it would for any of us. If you had something bad happen to you constently every day, and you saw something similar start in the same way, youd get hesatent to.

Back