on Tex-watch now... update on my little one

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smhufflepuff

super-duper hedgiepig
Tex is a bit of a mess at this moment :(

His sniffles seemed to get a bit better for a few days - he still had the watery/clear discharge, but it wasn't running right out of his nose anymore, so I thought we were on the right track. Then yesterday happened - he seemed more snotty in the morning... but it was one of those "I *think* that looks worse, but can't really tell" kinds of things. When I checked on him in the evening, he was snotty enough to blow a bubble. So back to the vet we went...

He was a touch on the dehydrated side; they gave him subcu fluids. He was not pleased with that idea. But snuggled down in my arms for awhile afterward. Then his tail shot out. He needed to poop and pee - which he did in front of me. I've never seen him pee before. And I've only seen him poop when it was the giardia diarrhea over which he had no control. He's a very private boy about that sort of thing. His poops were nicely formed, though tinged a touch green. He looked done, but wary. And, since I've never seen him poop or pee before, I didn't really know what to expect next. Satin's easy... once she's done, she's ready to snuggle. Sometimes she's ready to snuggle before she's completely done *sigh*

He just kind of stood there. I picked him back up. Held him. Then he vomited.

Projectile.

Hit me, my shirt, my jeans. Got him cleaned up, and he vomited more. It was green. And proceeded to do this little dry heave/fuff for another hour. Started off with a heave/fuff a couple times/minute. Then ~1x/m, then 1x/2m, etc... We stayed at the vet's during this. I wanted back-up on hand if this went south (further south). I was really getting worried; I wanted to cry.

He evened out over the course of maybe 45 minutes. And, later, we did manage to get an x-ray and a sample for a culture & sensitivity test. On the x-ray, we learned that his lungs and sinuses look okay; there may be a tooth issue that his doc will check in with some folks about; there's evidence of arthritis along the back half of his spine (we're going to ignore that for now until we sort out the more pressing issues); and he's full of gas - little tummy and large intestine looked like balloons.

Soooo.... we're keeping him on the Baytril for now (staying the course unless the culture suggests doing something different or the sniffles go away). We have metoclopramide (prn) to deal with the mean greenies and vomiting and simethicone to deal with the gas. He's in his hedgiebag completely spikey & exhausted. I'm keeping him a little extra warm with a chemical hand warmer tucked under one side of his hedgiebag (he relaxes his quills more with it) and am looking in on him frequently.

He does NOT trust me to give meds right now. He'll relax in my hands, but get an oral syringe near him and he turns into a very scared/angry tight spikey ball.

Poor little fella.

Poor little Tex. I hope he gets better really fast and isn't sick for his first Christmas. We know he will be asking Santa to take that syringe and give it to somebody else.

Hugs

We know he will be asking Santa to take that syringe and give it to somebody else.
I think he'd fill in the green text a bit differently these days.

I do hope he has the very best Christmas ever. It will be his first in the context of a loving home.

He's already been enjoying his hat, blankie, and hedgiebag from his SS. The hedgiebag has been the perfect thing for him to snuggle in these days. Again, many thanks!!!

Off to start hedgietime with Miss Satin.

I know I have talked to you through email. But you both are in my thoughts, and the Stormrider Hedgehogs are sending lots of healing glow for Tex. Hopefully the culture will give us some answers and he will stay healthy from here on out.

I am so sorry to hear that your little guys is sick. I hope that the vet is able to figure out what is going on.
Keep us updated!
*Hugs for Tex*

No update from the vet yet - though I wasn't really expecting a call until tomorrow... but one can hope, right?

He's sleeping in his hedgiebag at the moment.

Little boy did a very good job of eating his meds last night and this morning. In good spirits both times. He's on a white cage liner and I'm not seeing any more vomit spots.

Awww... he's stretching. I think he hears me typing. Must type softer... Settling back down...

Thanks, everyone, for your good wishes. Keep sending those positive vibes. I'm optimistic that he's on the mend. Perhaps a Festivus Miracle?!

Last edited:
Back