Older chin starts new unwanted behaviour

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGarl

My chin, Bentley, is a 10 year old male who has lived alone all his life (so I believe). I've had him for over a year and before that a friend owned him for about 5 years.

Recently he's been humping my hand, arm, leg, foot, whatever he can get at. It all started with giving him organic raw rolled oats for a treat. He went nuts and is very demanding. After I give him a tiny piece or two he gets aggressive, uses his teeth to grab a bit of my skin and starts the humping behavior. He does this while out of his cage. He does it only for rolled oats. Any other treat he just takes and eats without a fuss.

I've tried pushing him away and saying, "NO" in a firm voice. It worked at first but not any more. He's getting worse by biting harder now and more insistent.

I'm puzzled. He's never been like this before. I have a fair idea he's doing it as domination to demand more treats, but why now at age 10?

Any ideas how to stop him? Maybe just give him the treat while he's in his cage?

I've tried withholding the treat but he does it anyway. The little punk.

He's horny. One of my males does that occasionally too. Try giving him a cuddle buddy so he can get his "fix" without your arm. Bonus... He really likes you! :))

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

He's horny. One of my males does that occasionally too. Try giving him a cuddle buddy so he can get his "fix" without your arm. Bonus... He really likes you! :))

Yikes! LOL K, I'll get him a cuddle buddy, though I'm going to hate washing that thing. Bentley has such an attitude about it all. When I shove him away he runs like the wind then scurries back and jumps me again.

I'm glad he likes me....I think. Though I'd be more happy with a well behaved gentleman just sitting in my lap for pets.

I had a bad-boy husband so I guess I should have a bad-boy chin too.

:thinking2:

Cuddle buddies really help!! Even a chin-sized pillow made out of fleece will do.

My guy was very humpy when he was in his teenage months. The second I put my hand in the cage he would jump on and hump.. and during playtime, if I'd move my feet, even only slightly, he'd grab on and hump. It was quite annoying, lol!

He has two cuddle buddies. He isn't as horny as when he was a teen, but sometimes he still gets excited when I go up to his cage. He instantly jumps on his buddy and humps. Once it's out of his system, he comes to see me and I can pet him hump-free.

Males! :duh: lol

Ha! Just be glad he didn't finish on your arm before you realized what was going on. They're quick!

Cuddle buddies really help!! Even a chin-sized pillow made out of fleece will do.

My guy was very humpy when he was in his teenage months. The second I put my hand in the cage he would jump on and hump.. and during playtime, if I'd move my feet, even only slightly, he'd grab on and hump. It was quite annoying, lol!

He has two cuddle buddies. He isn't as horny as when he was a teen, but sometimes he still gets excited when I go up to his cage. He instantly jumps on his buddy and humps. Once it's out of his system, he comes to see me and I can pet him hump-free.

Males! :duh: lol

He's gotten a bit better. He'll grab a hold of my arm and then let go very quickly almost as if he remembers, 'no humping mama'. LOL It seems to always happen when I give him organic raw rolled oats, he also gives off a musky scent too.

Ha! Just be glad he didn't finish on your arm before you realized what was going on. They're quick!

Eww, now that would be gross! LOL. I did get 'poked' once and that's when I finally realized he meant business. But he's kinda stopped now and settled down, he's a very well mannered little guy once he realizes I don't like something he will stop or try to stop.

:)

Latest posts

Back