Old hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrynight0621

I have read on here that hay doesn't expire. I purchased half of a bale back in July for my two chins, thinking it would last them awhile. I have been storing it in laundry bags.

I suspected that they may not have liked it anymore because it was older. I purchased a small fresh bag and now they are gobbling it up. Does anyone else have picky chins like this?

Yep! Mine refuse Western Timothy at about 3/4 of a bag and refuse Orchard Grass at about half a bag. It's beyond frustrating!

Yeppers, chins are stinkers that way. I find if I have hay they won't eat in their cage, I just toss some out at playtime, some reason it tastes better there......

I think they also appreciate different varieties of hay, and get bored with one kind after a while. Chinchy always eats more when there's a new variety of hay that he hasn't had in a while. Getting a different kind is like a treat to him.

In most places hay is only harvested during the Summer, so yeah it doesn't expire if it's stored properly (and baled when dried and done correctly) They just got bored with it. I would just keep feeding it to them if it is good hay. Post a pic if you aren't sure. It should be green and not way too stalky with zero to very little weeds.

Back