Old cat with problems, advise?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicki

I have an older cat named Macee. She's around 16. For the last several years she's had bad arthritus in her elbows. In the last couple years her eye sight has started to cloud over some. She can still see and gets around fine but I know her vision is less. Throughout last year she had progressivly gotten more grouchy to the other 2 cats in the house. She never did get along with them but they tolerated each other. It's at the point now where for the most part Macee has to be separated. Too much growling and hissing on her part. She will flip out and pee on occasion. Even with the boys not around she can be mean. She has bitten me once during a spazzing episode. I had to get meds and a shot. Yesterday she pee'd on a loveseat when a litter box is just a few yards away.
I guess I'm looking for any personal experiences or advice from anyone who is or has been in this type of situation. I already know about seeing a vet. That part is taken care of. Things are getting frustrating and anything would be helpful.

I feel your pain, though perhaps to a lesser degree. I have an 18 year old boy here and we have gone through some tough times. He defecated where he pleased to the point where we had to confine him to a limited area of the house. I had a lot of guilt about it though we purchased climbing furniture (elderly cat designed LOL), a window perch, etc. to make him happy. The vet said "if that is the way you can co-exist then that is the way you will have to co-exist." It made me feel somewhat better at that time. My cat was treated for Irritable Bowel and was on steroids for a long time (longer than I thought safe but that is another issue). Slowly we weaned him off and he has managed to lessen his "indiscretions" which we feel are a combination of behavioral and physical issues. He travels with us and has no "accidents" while we are away from our home. He now has free roam of the house again, for now. In short, you need to decide what you can live with. No one can tell you that you have to live with your situation, however, no one can tell you that euthanizing is the right thing to do either, that is a very personal decision. At the age your cat is, rehoming doesn't sound like a humane option to me, cats are very set in their ways. It's really hard dealing with elderly pets, it can be frustrating for sure. Good luck with your decision.

I had an elderly lab/sheperd mix with arthritis - an aspirin a day worked wonders for about 3 years! She was about 80 pounds, though. Maybe ask the vet about baby aspirin?

Thanks. Macee can be the sweetest thing. And just like that she can switch her mood 180. I had a decent arrangement but now if the urinating is going to be a problem I have to figure something else out. She is on meds to see if that will help with her mood. It has gone to one day at a time. It hasn't gotten to the point that I have to make that big decision. But I can see that happening in the future. Sometimes it's just nice to hear from someone else.

Has she had her thyroid checked? Older cats sometimes suffer from HYPERthyroidism. I've had two cats, one now and one in the past, with hyperthyroidism and one of of the symptoms was grouchiness along with eating a lot more and getting slimmer.

I too feel your pain. I have an 18 year old female cat. Within the last 6 months she has started to have seizures. Her hearing and eyesight has faltered. But she still eats well and uses her liter box.
So now we are trying to make the best and most comfortable decision for her. It's so hard.

For arthritus paid and discomfort she is on 3 different supplements. Asparin was never mentioned, maybe a cat is too small for that? But if she hurts herself as a result of the arthritus I have pain meds to give her from the vets.

Yes, her thyroid has been checked. It is a little enlarged. So she had full bloodwork done. Everything came back fine. It's just something we need to keep an eye, as of yet it hasn't had any affects on her.

Susansheila I hope the best for you & your cat.

I have a very old boy cat and he had some litter box issues. I tried moving the box and switching litter brands. I ended up buying a whole new box so that there were 2. He only used the new box. I threw the old one out and everything has been fine since then. Maybe your kitty just needs a change of venue. Its worth a try.

Another thing to mention, is that elderly pets can get urgency issues. They cant tell that they have to go until it becomes "OMG GOTTA GO!" It can also become behavioral due to a change in environment or getting another pet. Helping to find out "why" can help you decide what to do to correct it.

Some pets are also attracted to a spot that they have urinated in before and will continue to go there. The only way to clean the scent off is with bleach or a special enzyme cleaner. I use Odoban on fabrics and bleach on hard surfaces.

Also has the vet checked her for a urinary tract infection or crystals?

In my opinion, Id totally go all out. Buy some Odoban or a good enzyme cleaner and clean every spot she has been going in. Then get an additional litter box or two. If money is tight, plastic "under the bed" type bins can be used as litter boxes too. Most of the time they are even better than a real litter box because they are bigger. Id also make sure to spend some time with her each day, especially if she is confined to only a room, just in case its behavioral due to jealousy.

Good luck!

Cats have a different system than other animals and people. Painkillers and other meds affect them differently and they don't process them well can't remember, kidney or livers. My Fred hurt himself New Year 07/08, since then when it gets cold he limps and doesn't want to walk. The vet prescribed Metcam in a modified dose so he can take for up to a week at a time. Maybe yours could give you something to help.

I know sometimes older cats just can't get in the high litter pans. Maybe making a step up for her, adding another box. My old boy (14) takes dasequin for arthritis, but he's also having issues with cognitive dysfunction as well.
Remember when it comes to the decision its about what is best for the pet. Not what is best for you. Too many times I see people hold on because they just can't let go. I'm not saying thats what you are doing either. It's all about QUALITY not quantity. we all know our pets leave us way too soon. My 20 yr old cat ate and drank till the day we had her euthanized. She did nothing but lay around all day. We should've let her go sooner....I still miss her and it will be 10 yrs on Dec 29, 09 that she's gone. One thing I've learned most times the body gives out before the spirit.
I wish you and your cat many happy moments in the time to come.

Latest posts

Back