off the meds when to off the critical care?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vcchinchilla

da vinci is going to be off the pain meds starting tomorrow but I dont know when to stop for the critical care. The vet had said if da vinci wants more give him more, because he is too skinny.
for 5 days i gave him CC according to his weight and the last two days he really liked it so I gave him 1/2tsp powder more, he's really nicely filled out more then before now I can still feel the sharp edges of his shoulder blades and a little bit of his rib cage but no more spiney back bone =D

short bkg info on him
I got him in a extremely skinny state literally skin wrapped around bone in sept 2011, since then he's been gaining weight, really slowly (so when i took him to the vet they were kinda horrified, but he did gain 100g since i got him...)

and since the CC it really sped things up, he's willing to eat from syring inside his cage too now
should i lower amount of CC, he eats his usual amount of hay and pellets

is a few more weeks of CC (+pellets and hay)dangerous for chin?

and when you cut off CC do you need to wean them off?

Teeth can and will overgrow on a CC only diet, its not a good idea to use CC unless there is a medical reason. Chin teeth grow 1-3+ mm a week, a few weeks of handfeeding can lead to overgrown teeth.

Latest posts

Back