Odd question regarding raw food

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smidgeyy

My kitten stays in my bedroom when I am not home to watch him, and at night. While he generally leaves the chinchilla alone, he does hop on top of the cage to watch him(I keep a towel down so he doesn't have access through the top). His claws are kept extremely dull and I have a CN so he cannot reach inside the cage.

I've been considering getting him on a raw diet. He's been having some diarrhea and I'm hoping a change in food will remedy that. Anyway... My concern is the risk to my chinchilla. Since he spends so much time in my bedroom, do you think it's too risky to feed a raw diet? It's also worth noting that my bedroom is carpeted, so I cannot wipe the floor clean like I would prefer.

What's your take on this?

There will be no increased risk to your chinchilla unless you plan to feed live food (which is NOT reccomend). As long as you aren't feeding actually live food the cats won't think to hunt more than usual. My cats and dogs are fed partial raw, because of cost I don't feed all raw. The cats only pay passing glances to the chin, and the dogs couldn't care less.

Is your concern that the cat will become more predatory by eating raw? or that the raw food itself could be an issue?

As far as becoming more prey driven, most of my cats are indoor/outdoor and do hunt, kill, and eat rodents (even the occasional squirrel), but still have no interest in the chinchillas. The most my cats do is watch the chins, and occasionally try to steal their toys.

Having raw food being fed in the same room as the chins could be an issue though. Cats tend to like to pull food out of the bowl to eat, which could mean raw food on the carpet which would be dangerous (for you and your chin) if not fully cleaned. Raw food should not be left out, so if feeding raw you will be there when the cat eats anyway. So basically raw food should be fine, so long as you aren't feeding the cat in your carpeted bedroom.

My concern is the possible contamination since he eats in my bedroom and my floor is carpet.

I would either put a drop cloth type item under the bowl where the cat eats or keep the chin in a play pen where the cat cannot get to. I know for a fact chinchillas can contract serious illness from floor contamination so I would be concerned.

That was what I was afraid of. He's definitely one who might pull his food around, as I've seen him do it with treats when he think I'm going to take them. He was found as a stray at 5 weeks old so he's a bit obsessive over his food.

Attempting a raw diet will just have to wait, it's not worth risking anything with my chin. I'm hoping that I can get a larger place where he can have his own room entirely, then it wouldn't be so much of a problem.

Thank you!

The kitten having diarrhea would concern me since the chinchilla might be exposed to pathogens that are causing it. Have you had his stool checked?

Stool is fine, it's been thoroughly checked several times. The diarrhea is definitely a food related issue. He's been on a handful of medications and since switching brands, he's been getting better.

My cat eats raw food and the chinchillas are fine. We don't let the chinchillas run on the ground so there is no chance of them getting near the food or litter box. I found that my boys prefer the playpen or to run on the couch because they feel safer there.

Back