Odd chew toy question???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sight

I have heard that small local rodents enjoy gnawing on the fallen antlers of the local white tailed deer. I have a bunch of old antlers that have just been hanging out in my closet and wonder what your guys thoughts were on safety as a chew toy. I have microwaved them to kill any bugs and scrubbed them down?

I am almost sure they are safe... just thought I would ask.

I would say no because you have no idea how chinchillas very sensitive digestive tract will react. Wild rodents like mice and rats are much less sensitive. Microwaving may kill any insects and/or bacteria but there could be any number of other things on/in them. To be on the safe side, I wouldn't do it.

Someone else started a thread a couple weeks back with the same sort of question. I think some of the conclusions were the following:
-chins don't need the extra calcium they would get and that too much calcium can be harmful
-with all of their bouncing around, a chin could easily injury (or even impale) themselves on antlers

I think it was generally decided that while it sounds like a unique chew/cage decoration, it's probably not suitable for chins.

Back