Occasional Drool

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kara315

So Eeyore had to be put on CC in November I believe, he was dehydrated. One of his front teeth ended up falling out and we went again, It didn't seemed to come out all the way, the other tooth was filled a bit and I continued with the CC for awhile.
He's now been eating his pellets, only they are softened with water, ironically Tigger seems to like them better that way now too. I kept the regular pellets in there thinking he'd want the normal ones.
Anyway, he's eating the soft pellets on his own, and most night takes his treat with enthusiasm, other nights it takes him a minute to want it.
The vet didn't seem too concerned about him drooling when he was going through the dehydration/loosing of the tooth. But some days, I can tell he drooled a little, Not much at all, his chest isn't wet from it, just a little around his mouth, but he's eating and drinking normal and has maintained his weight through this as well.

Can it just be that he sometimes will drool, or does it mean it's something worse? I think I read someone had a chin that just drooled sometimes.

He seems fine though, normal poop, normal drinking/eating on his own. Seems active/alert during playtime...

Has the broken incisor grown back in yet? If the chin has been on soft food since Nov, the chin may need a filing due to overgrown teeth. That and if a x-ray was not done it should be done to see if anything is brewing in the missing incisor site. Chins drool from pain, dental or otherwise.

Has the broken incisor grown back in yet? If the chin has been on soft food since Nov, the chin may need a filing due to overgrown teeth. That and if a x-ray was not done it should be done to see if anything is brewing in the missing incisor site. Chins drool from pain, dental or otherwise.

He was on CC in nov and some of December. Since then he's eating his pellets which I just put them in water for about two seconds and drain the water. But I guess CC is technically soft food.
An X-ray wasn't done. She did want to see him in a couple months to check his teeth, I may just make an appointment and request an xray. She didn't seem too concerned about the drooling which made me wonder if maybe he's just going to do it. But it makes me worry if it could be him in pain/dental and she just doesn't realize that.
probably a dumb question, but he doesn't have to be put under for an xray right?

The chin needs to be put under with gas for a x-ray, it would be a good idea since drool is not normal, they drool for a reason. Some chins have a high pain threshold, some are drama queens, but one thing in common is chins don't drool unless there is a reason.

The chin needs to be put under with gas for a x-ray, it would be a good idea since drool is not normal, they drool for a reason. Some chins have a high pain threshold, some are drama queens, but one thing in common is chins don't drool unless there is a reason.

Any idea what being put under and getting an xray will cost? I know it depends on the vet/place etc.... but any estimate/around.

Going to the vet soon. Hopefully she'll look into the drool and we can figure out what is wrong.

He's going back Monday to get his teeth filed, so he will be put under. So it wasn't a great vet visit, I'm really worried about him being put under as I've heard, with any animal or people even the risks, especially with them though. I'm hoping for the best and trying to stay positive, It's just really hard potentially knowing he may need it every six weeks at most.

I would strongly recommend getting the full head set of xrays, especially if the drooling continues. The xrays are the only way to tell if the roots are elongated (growing into the sinus and eyes, growing into the jaw bone). If they are, pain management and a care plan need to be decided on because filing will not fix the problem.

Just got a call from the vet. Eeyore did good, he's up and they gave him some pain medicine. I can pick him up in a couple hours! Thank goodness, I was so worried waiting for the call.

Back