Oblivious Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlepiper

Hey there everyone,

I just got a 5 week old mosaic female about a week ago named Suki. She's a real sweetie, except for one little problem. She is completely oblivious to everything. I also have a male chin who is 6 months now and he's pretty good, as in, he comes when he's called, loves to be scratched ect. The thing with him, is that I've never had problems with him ignoring me (not coming when he's called) so now I'm faced with a super small chin who completely ignores me.

I know she's not deaf or anything because she responds to the bigger one's wheel and noises, so essentially my question is: does anyone have any tips on getting a baby chin to listen to you? For the first few days she actually came when we tapped or made a noise, now she just ignores me (and the older chin).
Any help would be great! Thanks!
-piper

If you've only had her for about a week, she's still getting used to you and the surroundings. Let her settle in a bit more and then you should see more of a reaction out of her. Do you have her in the same cage as your male 6 month old?

Wow 5 weeks, isnt that a bit young to be away from mom?

Like above, just give her time to settle in, mine rarely listen to me. Some chins will, some chins just do what they want when they want, sort of like a cat.

Please, dont have the boy and girl together, if you do. Not sure if you do, as you dont say one way or the other.

We love pics of babies :D

Hi piper!

I think you should give your baby chin to get use to you. After all she have only been with you for only a week. :) Baby chins can't really react to commands much, even some adult chins do not really react to it too. So it really depends on the chinchilla temperament.

And another thing is your baby chin eating well? Because from what i know a 5 week chin may still rely on partial milk.Unless you are syringe feeding her milk. I think you should check on her weight. to much sure she is growing healthy ya :)

Chinchillas aren't animals like a dog or horse who sometimes do come on command or at on command. My chins do know their name but good luck getting them to come to me if I want them too LOL! Please make sure you are not housing the male and female chin together. I would just spend as much time as you can sitting outside her cage, talking to her quietly and letting her get used to your presence. The more used she is to you the better your chance of having her come to you when you're at the cage.

Thanks for all the replies~

Just so you guys know, I don't have them in the same cages, but two seperate ones that are very close together.
The pet store which I got thm from said that the baby is 5 weeks, but she isn't drinking milk. She eats very well and is getting bigger at a good rate.
Thanks again~
piper

HI! Just so you know some chins never are interested in human companionship. LIke people, they are all so different. My girl gizmo walks away from the front of the cage when i approach and when i talk to her she just goes and does her own thing as where the rest of my chins will sit and listen, etc. She is just not interested. You will see some change as she grows im sure but it might not be the same as your other chinnie.. Good luck with everything!!

welcome! just give her some time! when i got mine, he sat frozen in the corner for almost a week. it just takes time. they love hearing your soft voice.... and you could give him pellets as treats, since chins under 6 months shouldnt be fed treats!

i may be incorrect about the spacing, but i know that cages should be at LEAST 6 inches apart to prevent accidental breeding!

I'm with Tara, wow 5 weeks old? She's a teeny baby. But, yes, give her some time, she'll come around at her own pace.

Make sure her cage is at least 6 inches from the other chins cage. You dont want to breed store bought chins, with out knowledge of thier history you could be breeding health issues you dont know about.

Also, not that it would be effective now, most people would recommend quarantine for her for 30 days in a seperate room, so you can monitor her for health issues that may effect her or your new baby. But since she is already there, with him, just keep a good eye on her. :D

Latest posts

Back