Number 13

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viw

I'm not much of a superstitious person and don't actually believe that friday the 13th would be a bad day.
Some of this is because I was born on 13th(sunday), my grandfather friday 13th years ago and said number has been more than lucky for me.

Now I'm not quite sure what to think, my 13th litter was born tuesday and there was so much luck and bad luck with the said litter.

Mother to the litter is a first timer, beige girl Ginny and father gorgeous black velvet bred by me.
When I woke tuesday morning, mother had given birth to 2 beige girls, I knew there was third kit comming so I waited and waited.
3 hours later Ginny hadn't delivered said kit and her contradictions had ended. Kit was moving so I knew it was alive.
I had to call trough 3 different vets -all whom I've been to and they know their business more than well- and none of them would take Ginny in to get help with the third kit.
In the end I took Ginny to a vet nearby who had never operated chinchillas, but was willing to at least see if hormones would help start the delivery again. (This being my last resolve since all the vets turned me down -> you can believe I was more than angry!)
Unfortunatelly hormones didn't help and c-section was only chance. The vet did wonderfull job consulting other vets about chinchillas, I was alloved to help with the section and all went well! (The kit was my responsibility while vet took care of Ginny.)
Third kit was black velvet male who was positioned so, that there wouldn't have been any chance for Ginny to deliver him.
All kits and Ginny are doing well now, she doesn't have much milk so I'm handfeeding the kits and Ginny seems to be recovering nicely from the operation.
The vet has called me 3 times after the operations to check everything is well and I feel I'll be visiting her in the future if there's some troubles. A good vet is hard to find and I feel this vet is more than willing to learn more about chinchillas.

Here's pics of the kits at the age of 2 days.

027.jpg

008-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

002-5.jpg

I've always been told that in other cultures that the number 13 was a lucky number.....and I think it is also...you were very lucky to find a vet that helped you and very lucky that the kit made it and very lucky that mom and kits are recovering great!!! So I would say your 13th litter is full of luck!!!

Cute kits. Glad that you were able to find someone to help. BTW my oldest son was born on Friday the 13th so I think it is a good day.

Back