Not using wheel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbodgrl

Zoo Keeper
Not sure where to put this topic, but if it needs to be moved thats ok.

I have had Maci since the end of May. She is almost 8 1/2 months old. She is in a FN142 and has a flying saucer wheel. I don't think she has ever run on her wheel...or even touched it at all. She does like to go UNDER it :laughitup:

Should I think about getting a "regular" wheel for her?

Typically how long does it take for them to figure it out? She came from a breeder and was too young for a wheel and the breeder doesn't use wheels.

We've had some older chins/rescues figure out the flying saucers (we have two) - chins that never had any sort of wheel in their previous home... but it can take months upon months for them to figure it out. I've had chins in a cage and one day you look over and they're running on the wheel... but typically, at least here, you see them trying it out earlier than months and months. Like for example, we put one of the new rescues in a cage with a saucer and within maybe 2 weeks I saw him (badly) trying to run on it.... now, a month or two later, he can really get it going, but he was making attempts early on.

We definitely have some chins that seem to have no idea what the saucer is, but love the regular wheels (which we have more of... like 6-7?)... and so far all the chins we've put in a cage with a chin spin have figured it out and run. Some rescues we get in will start running on those the first day here. So... maybe it's something to think about?

I personally don't like flying saucers, you can list it in the classifieds and try to swap it for a regular wheel.

Thats probably what I will end up having to do. I think I will give her a little more time to see if she "gets it" and if not I am going to have to try and swap or buy another one and sell the flying saucer.

Just thought I would update this thread.

I found a "like new" Chin spin on my local craigslist. I bought it earlier this week. I took the saucer out and put the chin spin in. Maci was running on it right away :thumbsup:

That's great! I had a couple chins that wouldn't run on the saucer either after it being in their cages for weeks. Put in regular wheels and both hopped on and love their wheels!

I do have a lot of saucers and a lot of wheels. It just depends on the chin sometimes.

Yeah I am so happy she likes it.

It was funny I had her out for play time and she would run around the room, then run into her cage and hope on the wheel for a bit, then run back out of the cage :hilarious:

tum tum took about 1.5 months before he liked it. i got Bam Bam at 3 months. Hes 6 months and really just started! lol but ive heard some chins dont like it. but i waited it out and they both love it. Bam Bam took a liking to it earlier than Tum Tum hehe

Latest posts

Back