not the same after illness

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishellyshel

Chin Slave
Jack has recovered from his URI & tooth filing. although he is no where near the same chin as before. the week before Stitch also had a tooth filing and was treated for potential infection and he is back to his nasty self. completely back to same personality, eating habits, etc..

i find that Jack is not eating as much. and the pellets are more crumbly. sits in different locations than he ever did before. stays in his house way more often and honestly, i know this sounds crazy....but he seems depressed!!

how do i know if he fully recovered and can it take weeks or months after finished meds to bouce back. should i keep him on a mild pain med??

yes during his meds and after when handfeeding but now he is eating on his own. and he is real skittish, definitely not a fan of the syringe. wasnt like that before. :(
should i still be giving him gas drops?

How did the hand feeding and med administration go? Was it torture or was he a easy feeder? I have found some will act like their world has ended and you are the one who ended it for them when hand feeding does not go well and they will pout for days and days. If it went well then I would say there is still pain and I would up the meds frankly and see what happens.

My chin, Splinter, is doing the same thing. Except, he used to be scared and timid. Now that he underwent a tooth filing and has been sick for awhile, the hand-feeding (which he loves and eats off a spoon) has made him very social and he loves sitting on my lap and trying to escape... He's definitely a completely different personality now. I think he changed for the better but not sure if it's because he's still recovering. He had a seizure during all of this that knocked out his motor skills for a few hours.. they came back but he's still a little shaky and doesn't seem quite "normal". But he does the same in terms of sleeping in different places, eating different things, and playing with different toys...

Back