Not sure what to do

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittneyk13

Daisy🌺
I had turbo neutered yesterday morning (8am) and I picked him up at 5pm. He was very bruised and swollen down there due to him picking at the sight. They put and e collar on him which helped. I took it off to try to get him to eat and he ate a couple pellets and some hay. Now it's 1:30pm the next day and he still hasn't eaten a lot and only drank a tiny bit of water. He is more energetic then yesterday but still very sleepy. I tried hand feeding critical care but it was hard to get him to stay still, I only got him to eat a little of it. The vet that did the surgery is not in until Monday (it's Friday) and I called another vet to see if their exotic vet was in and they are but it's an hour drive. Not sure what to do...i feel like the drive will really stress him out but I don't want him to die. Please help! I feel awful that I put him through this and I want him to be okay.

You need to get some food in him. That is the most important thing right now. If the site is looking better and he is more active, I don't think a vet visit is what he needs. He needs food. If you have to try every 2 hours or so then that is what it will take. He needs to get pooping and the only thing that will get that is food. He will figure it out soon. Wrap him up in a piece of fleece or thin towel to help maintain control. Feed him small amounts often. Try different textures and temperatures until you figure out what he likes. Expect to get it all over you and him while you both are learning. You can fuss about cleaning him up later when things get back to normal.

Get some baby gas drops at WalMart or some place like that. While he is fighting the feedings, he might gulp air and they will help prevent him from bloating and making things worse.

Take your time and talk gently to him while trying to feed him. It may seem like a horrible thing he is going through but, once he understands what you are trying to do and he starts feeling better, he will forgive you. I find I really bond with the guys I have to hand feed.

Sorry youre having a rough time. I second the answer above. I had to do a crash course in feeding one of my girls a few weeks ago, and it is stressful. It can be done though. Just make a chin burrito and go for it. I wish you all the luck in the world. Just know, force feeding gets easier after a few days, for both the chin and you.

Latest posts

Back