Not sure if she's a genius or a lunatic...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinchilla63

Candy and GoGo have been with me since April. They've never had a wheel before. I have a chin spin that they really enjoy sitting in to eat hay...kinda like a porch swing. I've never seen them run in it.
However - Candy has a new trick. She jumps onto the TOP of the chin spin and tries to run on the outside of the wheel. She usually gets a half rotation or so and then jumps to a nearby shelf. It is every bit as hilarious to watch as you would imagine. If I ever have a camera nearby when she does it I'll film it.
Is this dangerous? Is this a step towards figuring out that it's actually more fun running on the inside? Or should I pull the chin spin out?

I have had chins do this - haven't had a problem with it. I also had one chin who would go under the wheel, feet up and work the wheel that way. Chins are crazy critters

My pink white, Bostin, used to do this all the time until I replaced the wheel with a Flying Saucer. He never hurt himself, but he was in with 2 other chins. I was afraid they would be running in the wheel while he tried to get on top and he'd get flung off, which is why I switched wheels. He never did get hurt. You could always put a shelf over the top of the wheel to block it if you're too worried.

I managed to get a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH1lDDXDPFQ

Last edited:
That's exactly what Candy does! Except she's much more of a spaz about it. Thanks for posting it.

Back