Not Pooping

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchieRoo

Vegan Pet Lover
Hi, My chinnie Winston has been to the vet 3 times in the last 3 weeks. He is not pooping well. He will poop one day and then nothing for a few days. On the xray we can see he is gassy and has produced poop, but it's not coming out. There is not a sign of any blockage, giving no good reason for his poop to not come out. He has been on gas drops, pain meds, gut stimulants, and another med to help fluff up his poop to try and help it come out. I had been feeding hime critical care a lot, but with nothing coming out, the vet told me to slow down with it. We are not sure what else to do at this point. The vet will be checking on him tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone has had to deal with something like this? Thanks.

Chin should have a ultrasound to see the peristalsis of the gut since the chin is on motility drugs and there is no action.

Splinter was in the same situation just a week ago and we've got him back pooping (and looking somewhat normal) with the help of several belly massages daily and lots of out of cage run time (morning and evening). That combined with the motility drugs, pain med, and gas drops and he's made some good strides.

Back