not new to hedgies just a few questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugargliderlove

Hedge Addict
Hello everyone as many of you know a few months ago I had to re-home my hedgie Lena Bean because I didn't have the time to give to her. I am now able to give more time to Sonic and I got a 6 week old little girl last night. I named her sprinkles. she is a salt and pepper color. I know that she will have her adult color after she quills at 9 weeks. I got a few questions since I have never had a young hedgie and when I got Sonic he was 2 yrs old.

last night she ate 3 tablespoons. Is that normal?
What do I have to look forward to when she quills? I know grumpiness and dry skin.

I attached pictures of her cause I know everyone is going to say so lets see pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20130216_093852.jpg
    IMG_20130216_093852.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_2102.jpg
    100_2102.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_2103.jpg
    100_2103.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_2104.jpg
    100_2104.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_2105.jpg
    100_2105.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 12
Little ones are great at eating, pooping, and being generally adorable. 3tbs is fine... just keep the yummies flowing :)

With quilling, besides the grumpiness, she may not want to be touched too much anywhere she has quills. Scoop her up and let her initiate contact insted of you moving in to pet her. You may also start finding quills... everywhere... in your laundry, bottom of your feet, etc... Carefully check her fleece and pull out the baby quills before laundering. Consider saving those baby quills :)

Why do you suggest saving baby quills? she is pooping really good. I broke up Sonics kibble into smaller pieces. I am starting her transition to the kibble that I am feeding Sonic. I put 1 TBS of the new kibble and 2 TBS of the food she was eating at the breeders. she was being fed purina one I can not remember which one it is exactly but she is going to be on innova senior cat,simply nourish indoor turkey & oatmeal, and solid gold Katz n Flocken.

I save all of my hedgie's quills. They are a nice keepsake. I would compare it to saving a dogs puppy collar and toys, or similar. I had Quinn's baby quills saved in a film canister but lost it when I moved. :(

She is adorable. Does she have a name?

Yep... the baby quills are for a keepsake. You don't often get a chance to have baby quills.

She looks a bit light for a salt & pepper in the pics so far. But I do love her color! You'll have to post pics as she quills and is done with quilling. Will be interesting to see how much (if at all) her color changes.

I have been told by others they think her color is algerian brown on hedgehog central and the facebook group hedgehog happenings. I will have to take her into the bathroom where the lighting is better later tonight and take more pictures.

I will Melissa. it is Melissa right? I cant remember. I must say that there is much nicer people here then the other site I am on.

Yep; Melissa.

I'm sorry you are running into problems. I find people are very passionate about their own hedgies... and hedgies in general. Which is great! But can also lead to hard feelings when there are disagreements. I try my best to learn from the info that's offered and not to get sucked into the drama when that happens. It's not terribly unlike how you deal with a hedgehog him/herself... acknowledging, then working through, the huffing and puffing to get to the "good stuff." Satin, Tex, and Bella have been great teachers in that way. I try to be worthy of their mentorship ;)

they could at least think of what they are saying effect people. its going to take me forever to type this I got sprinkles on my lap and she is exploring and trying to get off the chair I am sitting on. she just peed in my lap so I put her back in her cage.

hey thanks for the info on the quilling. i have 5 4 week old hedgies I'm hand raising and early weening and i had no idea they lost all there baby quills like puppy teeth. do they lose baby teeth too? is there any other info i should know to be ready for?

on a side note I'm also from the other forum sugar was on and the ppl there are judgmental and down right rude know it alls. on top of that they don't even read your entire post before jumping to conclusions and attacking ppl. this is a much better forum. and very glad to be here.

oh awesome!!!! I'm so gonna keep my eye out for a baby tooth!!! even if it is a waist of time i think it'd be cool if i find one lol. since I'm hand raising maybe ill find one!!!

Latest posts

Back