Not Killing Orchids

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura

I recently bought a Phaeleonopsis orchid, and I was hoping someone could instruct me on how not to kill it. I bought some orchid mix, and replanted the orchid in a plastic container with it. I know they're not supposed to be watered every day, and that they need humidity, but what else should I be doing? Thanks!

On a side note, I can't NOT kill an orchid. It doesn't matter how well I follow directions, they still die. :(

Haha that's why I'm asking for advice. The only plant I've successfully not killed is an aloe plant. I can't figure out how I can take care of 15 pets, but not keep plants alive!

Phals are some of the easiest orchids to keep alive. Making them bloom again is a different story.

They're still fussier than the average houseplant. But as far as orchids go, theyre great. I can grow them in a window here in in Seattle. I guess I will just ramble off some stuff here. You dont need to water it every day. Just keep it evenly moist. Let tap water sit out for 24-48 hours to allow the chlorine to offgas. Never let the bottom of the pot sit in water...it can rot that way. A plastic pot tray underneath the pot with some clean gravel will help add humidity which it will like. If you have a bright, eastern window or anywhere it is not in direct blazing sun (ie, away from a really sunny window) or other indirect light is great. Daily misting is appreciated. Never let water get in the crown of the plant....it usually kills it. Folow the instructions for fertilization....usually they require a grow fertilizer and a bloom fertilizer. But some get by with none. Usually repot when it climbs out of the pot or leans too much or every other year or when the potting medium breaks down. Oh, and after all the blooms fade, dont cut off the stem to the base....cut to the third or second from the bottom node and hope for rebloom. If its happy, it will rebloom!

Theres more, but I would recommend visiting other online sites and learn more about your phal. Have fun!:eek:

I found the only way I can keep them alive is to completely ignore them.

Though since moving to the south, they seem to grow wild all over! Very pretty.

Latest posts

Back