Not Eating still

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ludo

can anyone offer me some advice

My chin stopped eating and was drooling a lot so took her to the vets and she had her molars and incisors burred and they gave me some recovery liquid feed to give her. It has been 3 weeks and she is still not eating solid foods, she wants to but takes one bite and shakes as if in pain. I have got an appointment to take her back to the vets. Has anyone else had this sort of problem, or has anyone any advice

Did you have x-rays done? Also, it's important to continue to get food into her. Is she eating anything? I hate to tell you this, but it sounds like it's her teeth causing the problems...she is most likely in pain if she is not eating...I would get her to the vet as soon as possible...is your vet experienced in chins?

Yes drooling in chins is a sign of spurs or root elongation. It hurts so they don't eat. So when you first went to the vet, did they tell you she had spurs and file them down. Is that what you meant by her having her teeth burred?
If so, and she's still not eating, it could be in her routes too and that I'm sorry to say that is a death sentence. The teeth insided their mouth can always be filed down, but they can't do anything with the routes, so get some x-rays because they show the routes.

If it's just spurs and they file them down, not from experience but from what I've heard, they are fine after that and go back to eating.

But if they gave you any antibiotics, I know some of them make them sick to their stomach so they won't eat.

But my advice would be get food in her, and get another vet appt asap and have x-rays down so they can find out if she has route elongation.

Best of luck to you,
Jean

I agree that you need to have x-rays taken, otherwise there is no way to know if her roots are growing incorrectly. I hope the best for your girl!

In the meantime, grind up the pellets, add water, and make kind of a paste - the consistancy of pancake batter, so she doesn't have to chew! You've gotta get some nourishment into her!

I had the same thing happen. We tried all types of meds, did the filing and she never improved. It is a horrible horrible thing to watch them wither away into nothing. I personally will never put a chin or myself for that matter again through it again. Some chins just can't handle the pain of their roots being over grown. Even a hair. If your not ready to put her down I would definately MAKE sure she is eating. I hope it works out for you. I am very very sorry. I know it is not a easy thing to go through or a easy decission to make. Also I might add that my vet (the first one we went to) said she would be fine within a week and that DEFINATELY never happened!!

don't force him to eat solids yet, if hes still in pain, feed him CC for now, you would want to get food into him. guess thats all you can do before you get xrays done. Good Luck.

In the meantime, grind up the pellets, add water, and make kind of a paste - the consistancy of pancake batter, so she doesn't have to chew! You've gotta get some nourishment into her!

If you don't have the CC and do it this way, get some Acidolphilus which has billions of good bacteria and mix it in with the crushed pellets. You can definately get it in capsule form so you won't have to crush it, that's how I bought it. And if I remember correctly, you can add alittle pumpkin to it to add some flavor to it that some chins like. (plain)

Jean

thanks everyone for your response, I have another appointment booked. When they filed down her teeth they said that they took an xray and everything was ok. She is still drinking the liquid food which the vets says has all the nutrients they need.

thanks everyone for your response, I have another appointment booked. When they filed down her teeth they said that they took an xray and everything was ok. She is still drinking the liquid food which the vets says has all the nutrients they need.

Just one x-ray. YOu need the top and bottom done. If they just took one, then they need to get the other set of teeth roots done too. FYI. Unles I am readying your post wrong.

Jean

Just one x-ray. YOu need the top and bottom done. If they just took one, then they need to get the other set of teeth roots done too. FYI. Unles I am readying your post wrong.
Jean
As far as I know they take the entire skull (including both upper and lower jaws) when they take dental x-rays, both a frontal view and a side view from x-rays I have seen and my own limited experience.

As far as I know they take the entire skull (including both upper and lower jaws) when they take dental x-rays, both a frontal view and a side view from x-rays I have seen and my own limited experience.

So I'm not quite getting what you are saying (yes I am a dummy sometimes). You are saying one x-ray is enough? Or no? I've heard that they need to do a few to make sure everything is okay with their roots. Please explain to me so I can be more sure. THank you Parkers.

Jean

Well if they burred her molars then she definately isn't fine or they wouldn't have done it.
I had 2 x-rays done when mine was sick.
Also 3 weeks is a long time to go with hardly any food. I would get some critical care asap and hand feed. Good luck

Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Did the vet give you any pain relief for your chin? Are the vets you are seeing chinchilla competent? (do they deal with lots of chins?)

To still be having problems at this stage means either something was missed (a spur, an ulcer, infection etc) or there is something wrong with the roots or the chin is incredibly pain sensitive.

So I'm not quite getting what you are saying (yes I am a dummy sometimes). You are saying one x-ray is enough? Or no? I've heard that they need to do a few to make sure everything is okay with their roots. Please explain to me so I can be more sure. THank you Parkers.
Jean
What I meant to say, and failed miserably at, is that the x-rays I have seen (and recently had taken of my own chinchilla) have had both the upper and lower jaws in the same radiograph as opposed to a picture of the upper and then a separate picture of the lower. I guess it will vary how many views are taken but in my case I remember the frontal view (so the whole head straight on) and then side views (right and left) that had both the upper and lower jaws in the picture. I will PM you a copy of the radiographs that were taken of my chinnie when I get a copy. You can also Google Chinchilla dental x-rays and see what I mean.

What I meant to say, and failed miserably at, is that the x-rays I have seen (and recently had taken of my own chinchilla) have had both the upper and lower jaws in the same radiograph as opposed to a picture of the upper and then a separate picture of the lower. I guess it will vary how many views are taken but in my case I remember the frontal view (so the whole head straight on) and then side views (right and left) that had both the upper and lower jaws in the picture. I will PM you a copy of the radiographs that were taken of my chinnie when I get a copy. You can also Google Chinchilla dental x-rays and see what I mean.

Okay thanks, I get it, it's still more view though and that's what i was trying to say. maybe because i only had one x-ray with noel (i think they did the top of her head or the top teeth somehow), and a visual, they didn't want to put her under after what she had already gone through to do the rest, but she was okay anyways. or it maybe just because i thought they actually did do more than one x-ray, but i did know that they need to do more than just the top or just the bottom.

Thanks for replying back.
SOrry for asking questions on someone else's thread guys.

Jean

Just wondering if you had any updates? Has she eaten anything other than the liquid you were given by the vets?

Yes please tell us how she is doing and what you have found out? We like to know the outcome of problems when people have them.

Thanks, Hope all is okay.

Jean

You can also mix a little yogurt in the food to.

Back