Not eating pellets

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2manypets

Gotta love chins
One of my chinchillas recently stopped eating her pellets. She will just eat her hay. Is there something wrong? Is there anything I can do to get her to eat? Should I try a different brand?

Are you weighing the bowl to make sure she's not eating them?
Are your pellets stale? Have you tried throwing that bag out and getting a new bag?
How long has she been on this feed?
Are there other symptoms that might mean she's sick (lethargy, drooling, soft poos, etc)?

No need to panic just yet but you need to keep a close eye on this. Keep giving lots of hay but she needs to be eating pellets to keep her weight up. I would start weighing her and if she starts dropping weight rapidly I would say a vet visit is in order and you will need to start handfeeding.

No I havent weighed the bowl but when I go and change her food the bowl is still full.

I just got a new bag and she still wont eat it.

She has been on it for about 8 months.

No there arent any other symptoms.

I will get a scale today and start weighing her.

That's the best you can do. At least she eats hay, but she's not getting any more nutrients. You can try putting pellets with something smelly, like rosehips or safe herbs, in a hermetical container, so the food will get the smell.

Latest posts

Back