not eating his hay :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rutherford

i peer into your soul
hey guys, rutherford seems to have stop eating his hay. i change it every day to keep it fresh, and he used to be so excited when i open up the bag of hay! he'd immediately run to the side of the cage and start sniffing really hard and reaching for a piece. these days, he seems uninterested in the hay. he would usually leave a pile of mess near his hay bin, indicating that he has been eating or at least being choosy about which pieces he wanted to eat. but these days, the area near the bin has been abnormally clean, with only a few strands of loose hay on the shelf.

should i be worried? perhaps i should buy him a new bag of hay? i got a rather large bag of hay, not knowing how fast he would go through them depending on his appetite, so could it be that it isn't "fresh" anymore? please help!

What are you feeding him? What brand also? Freshness shouldn't really be an issue if you store it properly and it is not mouldy, smells bad etc. For instance the timmy I have right now I buy by the bale and it smells and looks so yummy I almost think I could make tea of it lol.FYI Hay is of course a dried product and is (almost) always stored 8 months out of the year. IE you won't a fresh batch from apx. September to June

i feed him oxbow timothy hay.
after i took my midterm, i came home to find a huge mess near the hay bin. i think he's eating them again! but he's been kind of lethargic lately. i mean, usually he'd be super intrigued when i open the door to play with him. now, he kind of sits at the top level, just kind of looking at me. when i extend my hands toward him, he'd smell it but that's about it. when he is active, he does really spastic jumps and movements that make me worry about him. should i be worried?

Milos really not that into eating her hay either. She can't have Timothy Hay, I have orchard hay and she won't touch it! Maybe its the hay that she doesn't like!?!?! I have no idea, I'm gonna try oat hay to see if she eats that.

i feed him oxbow timothy hay.
after i took my midterm, i came home to find a huge mess near the hay bin. i think he's eating them again! but he's been kind of lethargic lately. i mean, usually he'd be super intrigued when i open the door to play with him. now, he kind of sits at the top level, just kind of looking at me. when i extend my hands toward him, he'd smell it but that's about it. when he is active, he does really spastic jumps and movements that make me worry about him. should i be worried?

What's the temp in Rutherford's room? Maybe he's a little warm? I don't have that much experience but I don't know if you need to worry yet. My girls have days where they are less active than others.

Latest posts

Back