Not Chewing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicolealexis

Hey Everyone,

I just got my baby girl about a week ago. Everything has been going perfectly except I have noticed something odd. She hasn't been chewing on anything...I've notice a bit of bite marks on her hide-a-way house but that's it. After all the reading I've done, it sounds like she should be going through chew sticks in like a week, but she hasn't really touched them. Should I be worried? Everything else is normal (eating, drinking, poo ect.)

Thanks for your help

in my experience younger ones dont chew as much as an adult does - once they get bigger and their teeth start growing they want to chew to keep them down...she also may be a little nervous in her new home. she will get the hang of it!

I have to agree that the wonder twins were too busy being crazy kids to bother with chewing - and I think they grow as fast as their teeth do so they don't really need to chew. But once they got older they started chewing a lot more. Bugs has never been a big chewer so I make sure to keep a lot of different wood on hand for him. I must have 6-12 kinds at any time. So I always have something "new" to offer him.

My two guys were over a year old when we got them and they didn't chew much of anything for the first two weeks. After that they are now happily chewing away on their lava ledges, woods (mulberry is their favorite so far, and mostly just for the bark) and just about everything else. I would recommend seeing if you can get some of the sellers on here to make you a little trial pack of woods they sell. This way you know which one's your chin likes.

I ordered a bit too much, and now I have quite a bit that my chins simply won't touch.

Back