Norwoods A4

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6Dusters

My black velvet female gave birth to one kit this morning. A nice black velvet. Not sure what the sex is just yet. Baby was a bit sluggish. Laying on its side and pulling itself forward. Was clean and fluffy. Tail had a bite and some hair missing at the very tip.

I took the kit out and did a good rubbing. Very carefully gave a few sips of water. Moved mom over to her own baby proof cage. She was quite happy to drink the apple juice water mix.

I'm a worry wart. Kits eyes are so dark that I took it back out to check to see if they were open. They were. Gave the kit another good rubbing and a talking to. Got my squeak I was looking for. Mom is very attentive and kind enough to let me handle the kit.

Crossing my fingers. Been several hours now and the kit will stand up on its own feet now. Still prefers to lay down close to mom.

Attachments

• BV Kit.jpg
    BV Kit.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 103
I was thinking the same thing Jessica. I started feeding the kit late afternoon. It's a girl. She still remains what I would think critical. Most of her time is spent laying down. However she is standing up as well.
Her mom is taking good care of her. Doing everything I can to keep her here. Prayers and time will tell.

I have been hand feeding her around the clock every two hours now since her birth day afternoon.
She slipped down 5 grams even with my best efforts. ( current weight is 45 g) At this mornings 8am feeding she appears to be nursing. She was up walking around and did a short run that I could witness.

Its now 2 1/2 hours later and she looks latched on and working hard on one nipple. I have not fed her in 4 1/2 hours. I'll monitor her throughout the day and am ready to intervene if needed.

Thanks for asking. And ty for her beauty comments everyone. She really is pretty.

Gosh I feel brain dead. :wacko:

Congrats on your beautiful kit! I really hope she continues to fight for you, to get stronger and more energetic. I would love to see more pics as she gets older!

Update: Went back to hand feeding. She did not gain enough weight in a days time.
Currently she is putting on weight and doing well. The day I resumed feeding I noticed her eye shut. When I got it opened I noticed green goo. So I started with antibiotic drops I had around here. ( for chins )
Eye looks good and is staying open. Her mom continues to do a super job caring for her.

I am happy to hear she is doing well... not totally out of the woods but on the right track.

Good Job. I know it is not easy.

I'm so glad to hear she's still with you. She certainly has had her share of issues, but she sure is a fighter!

Thank you for the updates. It's always nice to gain 'virtual' experience by hearing your stories. I'll keep her in my thoughts, she's really beautiful.

Latest posts

Back